SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-08-11, 12:13 PM   #1
Scythe92

Default Putting Curvy away - what to do?

I'm afraid my curvy's insurance runs out on the 23rd August, and I go to uni on the 20th Sept so I don't think it's viable to pay £240 insurance for a maximum of 4 weekends (work with family so get a lift to work). So I'm afraid, it's gonna have to go into hibernation!

What's the best way to do this? I can't see a fuel tap to switch off, or can't find the drain tap on my carbs.
Old 11-08-11, 12:16 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Putting Curvy away - what to do?

tbh I'd still insure it even if its off the road, it might not get in a accident but it may still get damaged/stollen.

As regards storage, if its going away for a year I'd try get some paddock stands to get your tyres off the deck. Also let some air out of them while you're at it.
Drain the petrol tank and run it until it cuts out, other than that I cant think of anything else to add.
Old 11-08-11, 03:38 PM   #3
fastdruid
Mega Poster

There are some allen headed screws in the bottom of the carb bowls.

It depends on how long you're laying it up for and where though, if its going to be inside and for <1 year then I'd personally not bother with a lot of prep. If its going to be longer then there is a lot more to be done.

At its simplest brim the tank, lube the chain, remove the battery and charge every 1-3 months. Pump up the tyres and move it regularly.

If its going to be long term (1 year +)then:

1) Run it until it gets up to temp.
2) Shutdown and pretty much immediately block the exhaust
3) Drain the carbs.
4) Either drain the tank or brim it and use fuel stabiliser.
5) Change the oil. Overfill it with cheap oil and *DO NOT RESTART*
6) Remove plugs, stick some oil down the bores. Loosely refit plugs.
7) Disconnect all connectors and use some wd40 on them, use either dielectric grease or vasaline on them.
Drain coolant, flush system and either refill with fresh or leave empty with cap off until dry then replace cap.
9) Lube the chain.
10) Remove the battery, charge every 1-3 months. Do not just leave on an optimate, IME they kill batteries if just left. If you must leave it with an optimate then turn it off and on again at least once a month if not every week.
11) Either pump up tyres and move regularly or stick on paddock stands. Ideally still spin the wheels, move the steering and use all the controls every now and then.

When it comes to wanting it again, drain oil and fill to correct level. Fill coolant if left empty. Fit battery and check tyre pressures.
Fill tank with fresh fuel and start.
Don't forget to check wheel and head bearings though, they have a tendency of dying when laid up.

Druid
Old 11-08-11, 05:37 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Take it to uni, good roads up ere.
Old 11-08-11, 06:51 PM   #5
orose

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Take it to uni, good roads up ere.
+1 - did a neat little loop of about 70 miles on Tuesday night to go the long way from Tankersley/Stocksbridge to Ladybower/Crosspool.
Old 11-08-11, 08:50 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
tbh I'd still insure it even if its off the road, it might not get in a accident but it may still get damaged/stollen.
Legal requirement needs to be insured and SORN'ed or taxed now.

With YC and Orose take it with you playground Yorkshire until November, off the road til Feb and enjoy the spring

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:03 PM   #7
davegixer1300r

As regards SORN if it is declared SORN then it does not need eirther TAX, MOT or INSURANCE but it must not be put on the road even parked or you will be committing an offence.
you can find out more and declare sorn on the net at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...PRO=hp&CRE=pop
Old 11-08-11, 09:20 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegixer1300r View Post
As regards SORN if it is declared SORN then it does not need eirther TAX, MOT or INSURANCE but it must not be put on the road even parked or you will be committing an offence.
you can find out more and declare sorn on the net at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...PRO=hp&CRE=pop
mate your sooo wrong!
This was done to death a while ago

EDIT: My eyesight is totally shot! Teejayexc correct before your post Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL=http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Continuous+Insurance+Enforcement/default.htm
Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE)
As part of Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), it is now a legal requirement for registered vehicle keepers to insure their vehicle(s) at all times.

You don’t have to be driving to be caught. It is now a legal offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified the DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road and have a valid Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Under the new system, MIB and the DVLA will work in partnership to identify uninsured vehicles by comparing DVLA vehicle records against those held on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

The registered keeper will be sent an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL) telling them that their vehicle appears to be uninsured and warning them that they will be fined unless they take action. If the keeper fails to comply with the advice set out in the letter they will face:
• a fixed penalty notice of £100
• their vehicle being clamped, seized and disposed of
• a court prosecution with a maximum fine of £1,000

These new measures are in addition to the powers the police already have to seize an uninsured vehicle and fine the driver.

For more information on CIE please visit www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured and see relevant press releases in the MIB Media Centre.

BIBA’s Graeme Trudgill interviews Ashton West from MIB and David Hancock from DVLA regarding the latest updates on motor insurance and continuous insurance enforcement. Click here to view the interview on Youtube.

You can also check the Motor Insurance Database for FREE to see if you have a valid insurance record at www.askMID.com

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by andrewsmith; 11-08-11 at 09:46 PM.
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11, 09:38 PM   #9
hongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
2) Shutdown and pretty much immediately block the exhaust
5) Change the oil. Overfill it with cheap oil and *DO NOT RESTART*
6) Remove plugs, stick some oil down the bores. Loosely refit plugs.
Mind explaining the reasoning behind these? Just curious.
Old 11-08-11, 09:38 PM   #10
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
mate your sooo wrong!
This was done to death a while ago

No Andy you're wrong

Just read what you posted;
Quote:
Quote:
You don’t have to be driving to be caught. It is now a legal offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified the DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road and have a valid Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote