SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-05-16, 11:51 AM   #1
mess6311

Default Break Light wont work with front lever......

My Sv650 99 brake light wont work when the front break lever is pulled.

I have checked the switch, the connector that goes into the switch and the connectors at the tail of the bike with a multimeter and they all seem fine (either completing the circuit or getting power). The brake light also works fine with the rear brake pedal.

I just seems to be that somewhere in the circuit there is a drop. Is obviously not the bulbs as they are working fine with the rear pedal.

Any ideas?
Old 27-05-16, 12:08 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Break Light wont work with front lever......

Just replace the switch?
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 12:12 PM   #3
mess6311

I could do, but there is a complete circuit in the switch. Would this not indicate no problem?
Old 27-05-16, 12:30 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

only way to tell if its the switch is to disconnect the connector at the switch and bridge the terminals of the connector. if you get light then its the switch if not then its a break elsewhere.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-16, 01:12 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

The usual issue is the contacts in the switch get dirty, sometimes you find it makes contact when you first close the switch but as you continue to move it the light goes off again. The contacts do a wiping action inside the switch itself and the dirt can build up in different spots.

As said, if you just connect the 2 wires together as a trial and the brake light comes on (ignition on obviously), then it's the switch. If not, it's the wiring.

If the switch is temperamental, either drown it in contact cleaner (or WD40 will do) and work it in, or just replace the switch.
Old 27-05-16, 05:29 PM   #6
ManMango

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
The usual issue is the contacts in the switch get dirty, sometimes you find it makes contact when you first close the switch but as you continue to move it the light goes off again. The contacts do a wiping action inside the switch itself and the dirt can build up in different spots.

As said, if you just connect the 2 wires together as a trial and the brake light comes on (ignition on obviously), then it's the switch. If not, it's the wiring.

If the switch is temperamental, either drown it in contact cleaner (or WD40 will do) and work it in, or just replace the switch.
^^ Had this exact temperamental issue with my front lever.

Same symptoms as yourself rear peddle was fine but at first front lever wouldn't do jack to the lights until a bit of a fiddle with contacts which led me to a douse of WD40 and a bit of scrubbing on the contacts, not been a problem since (at least a 1.5 years on)
Old 28-05-16, 06:56 AM   #7
mess6311

Cheers fellas. I will try the WD40 approach then and if not try the switch.

Cheers for the help
Old 28-05-16, 07:21 AM   #8
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I've had this a couple of times. I just pop the witch off the mount, give it a good dousing with contact cleaner put it back and it's fine again.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote