SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-07, 11:01 AM   #1
Keith1983

Default STop solenoid location?

Hi guys, Ive got a 1995 1.8 diesel peugeot 205 (stop swooning plesase) and I suspect the stop solenoid that prevents fuel from the pump may be stuck open, or closed. My biggest problem being that I dont really know where it is. Is there any chance of one of the mechanical wizz's on here to post a pic up showing me? Cheers.
Old 07-12-07, 11:11 AM   #2
MiniMatt

Default Re: STop solenoid location?

Normally on or very near the fuel pump, cylindrical thing marked either Lucas or Bosch. Might have to replace the whole pump. Pug/Citroen used both Lucas and Bosch, the Lucas pumps are ****e.

Does it not start or not stop ("dieselling")? If starting, might be the starter motor, common enough prob, had to wire my starter direct to the battery on mine (remember to earth and fuse it).
Old 07-12-07, 11:24 AM   #3
Keith1983

Is it the round thing sticking out the side of the pump, just where the pipes go off to the injectors? It has a small electrical connection on the top. I cant see if it says bosch or lucas on it as the filth in my engine bay prevents me from doing so! Unfortunately it doesnt get the attention of the sv!
Old 07-12-07, 11:41 AM   #4
MiniMatt

Sounds about right. Does the car have an immobiliser? Pray it doesn't, as if it does then the immobiliser will hook into the stop solenoid and that's then buried under a plate and designed to be a bitch to get to.

Does sound like you've got the right bit though, you're going to need to blindfold Kwak, give him a tube of Autosol, point him in the direction of your Pug and tell him it's an SV, you'll need to know which pump model it is to get the correct replacement. Only about £30.
Old 07-12-07, 11:45 AM   #5
Keith1983

a new pump? Im going to try get the solenoid out first and see if it is that which is stuck. If im lucky a good clean will sort it out. I dont have an immobiliser on it. To be fair Id be better off if someone stole it! My biggest problem now is lack of tools! Im gonna have to raid my toolbox at work on monday! I think it wants a 24mm socket on the job!
Old 07-12-07, 11:53 AM   #6
caz650s

Thats the right component ... make sure the ignition is off before you take that small wire off as it is live with ign on !

When you have taken the wire off make sure it is not resting on anything metal and then turn ign on and flash the wire to the terminal in the stop solonoid you should get a small spark and as you touch it on & off you should hear the solonoid click as it actuates ...if you have a spark or you can check that there is approx 12 volts at that wire but no sound from solonoid it is more than likely knackered.

Clean the area around solonoid and undo wth a deep socket or if its an early one you may do it with a spanner......Take care as you take it out as the plunger and spring inside will (a) fall out and be lost for ever ! or (b) stay in the pump ...if it stays in the pump make sure you get it out before you try and fit the new part.
Old 07-12-07, 12:23 PM   #7
Keith1983

Thanks for the info guys! I thought I was looking in the right place and it looks like I was! I just needed someone else to tell me that! I will let ya know how I get on.