SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-09, 08:03 PM   #1
7755matt

Default NC-35 non starter

Hi all, to add to my SV Ive got an NC35. Its been stood about for a bit but has been a runner (just about, sounded a bit off last time i heard it)

Took it to see a friend the other day and told him it was a non runner, he tried to start it, it fired up straight away, then dies off and wouldnt run properly after.

he said he thought it was old duff fuel, so today i took the tank off, cleaned it all out and put in fresh juice. Took carbs off, cleaned the float bowls and blew out all the jets. Put it all back together but it wont fire up.

Tookt eh tank back off, fitted a small funnel in the fuel line and it was sounding much more likely to fire up. I didnt get it running as it was backfiring a bit and i didnt want to set fire to the crude jury rigged fuel inlet.

Anyway, tank back on and still no starting, lots of backfires and popping in the airbox though.

is there anything else I could try? Any known issues? Ive heard the vacuum to the fuel tap can be iffy but everytime the tanks come off theres fuel in the line so Im guessing it should be working.

Ive checked the basics i can think off - air / fuel / spark and all seem good. I would at least like it to fire up tomorrow so any suggestions please.

Thankfully the SV is still running nicely
7755matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-09, 10:40 PM   #2
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: NC-35 non starter

First off
http://www.400greybike.info/newforum/viewforum.php?f=21 is a good place to ask NC35 specific questions

NC35's are pesky wee beasties, I'd first off make sure you haven't accidently flicked the kill switch to off, unlike the SV the NC will happily spin the motor with the kill switch set to off.

They are buggers for flooding and once flooded do not want to restart. Some people say that once the spark plugs get flooded they never work quite the same again, I don't know how true this is but might be worth pulling the rear plugs[1], checking for wetness and heating them up to dry them off / help starting.

Starting procedure for an NC35 is full choke, no throttle, when the revs start to fall push in chock and 'catch' it on the throttle, keep the revs up about 6k until it is firing on all 4 and revs cleanly.

If you disconnect the vacuum line to the tap (ie to try it without the tank) ensure you block off the pipe otherwise it won't run properly[3].

Druid

[1] Just like the SV, piece of **** to remove the rear's, PITA to remove the fronts.
[3] Hell my SV will stall if I disconnect the vacuum tube at idle, I doubt the NC would want to run well.