SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-16, 01:06 AM   #1
Ricky650

Default Hi all...

Hello everyone! Been a while since I've been on here. My first bike was a curvy sv650, since that went in 2012 I've owned all sorts.

I've now got a k5 750 but I'm in the process of buying a k5 SV 650 that's basically a rolling chassis and the rest of it is in box's.

I'm planning on turning it in to a road going track bike with day time mot. Like most people I'm on a budget as I don't really want it to owe me silly money.

Anyway... I'm just after a few ideas/tips.

Suspension: it's standard at the moment. Id like to keep the original forks and just upgrade/refresh them. What Spring kit should I be looking at? Also what rear shock should I be looking at that's a cheap upgrade?
I'm 6ft tall and about 17 stone if that helps.

Tyres: I will probably go with supercorsas as I've been using them for the past few years

Brakes: Are there any caliper and master cylinder upgrades from other bikes that can be used and that aren't going to break the bank

Fairing: Where to buy track fairings? Will they fit with the side stand still in place? Will the rear subframe need modding?

Gearing: What's a good all round sprocket set up? Bike will mainly be used for fast road riding on sunny weekends. It will be the slowest bike in our riding group but I'd still like to be able to try and keep with others in the twisty parts so would need slightly quicker acceleration than standard.

Are there any must do mods? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 18-05-16, 01:14 AM   #2
ManMango

Default Re: Hi all...

Spring rates post:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90821

Rear shock chart:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...COvG24gH#gid=1

If keeping oem forks, you want to just stick in some heavier oil, £100 set of springs ktech or similar and if you got the dosh some emulators aswell.

This will help too:
http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch

- Tyres: I use PR4s for commuting (with style) and weekend riding. Very popular with the SVs you may want something softer but PR4s are BRILL all rounders.
- Brakes: SV brakes can also get pretty tired so stick some EBC double H sintered pads on front and rear at the very least. Probably best to rebuild calipers too + stick on some braided lines. You can get the rebuild kit on wemoto.
- Brakes: There are some hangers for the front so that you can use some uprated nissin brakes (I think from the GSXR) but not read too much into this. Info is on the forum somewhere.
- Brakes: Many other suzi front master cylinders are compatible with the SV but cant tell you off top of my head which ones.
- Throttle: You may want to do the R6 throttle mod
- Gearing: A lot of people go up to 47 on the rear up from 44(faired model) or 45(non faired) and then keeping 15 on front. 3 teeth on the back is plenty for much snappier pull but you may lose 10 off your top end. Going down on tooth on front will give similar results to 3 up on rear.
- CHECK YOUR TPS for smooth effective launch.

Bits and bobs, seals for forks calipers etc:
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/sv_650_sk5/05/

While the bike is in bits aswell before getting it back together you should get your rear swingarm serviced either yourself or at a shop. Never done this myself but I hear the SV is a bit of a pain for this and pricey if neglected.

There is obv a lot more than the above to do but these are where I would start.

Last edited by ManMango; 18-05-16 at 01:27 AM.
ManMango is offline   Reply With Quote