SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-06-09, 10:28 AM   #11
Owenski

Default Re: Rear tyre blow out...

Its good to laugh about them afterwards isnt it mate, had one of those while filtering traffic on the M62 traffic doing 40ish few feet between each car and then me doing again 60ish went over a cat's eye but have had soem debris in it and: pop, swere, fish tail, much in helmet shouting **** 5hit etc. the man up stairs only knows how I didnt even clip any of the cars on either side of me before nursing it over to the hard shoulder.

Did it not wriggle around like a mo-fo for you or do you recon the extra weight on the back actually helped stablise the bike?
Old 03-06-09, 10:34 AM   #12
DaveP

well done on keeping it up mate... I thing i woul dhave lost a few pounds if that happened to me.... ilthough i may have been tempted to drop the boss on the road.....

dave
Old 03-06-09, 11:17 AM   #13
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_avfc View Post
get Kev to pay for the new rear tyre - sounds like an open and shut case of his fault
I'm bowing out of this thread now, before it gets expensive!

Can't remember how much I paid for that tyre, I think you may have the receipt for it.
Old 03-06-09, 11:24 AM   #14
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Scary stuff, well done on keeping from sliding down the road with the new boss on board.

At least the boss will now se you as a person who is calm under pressure in stressfull situations
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 11:25 AM   #15
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Scary stuff, well done on keeping from sliding down the road with the new boss on board.

At least the boss will now se you as a person who is calm under pressure in stressfull situations
Na, boss was sat pillion he travelled through the screams lol.
Old 03-06-09, 11:48 AM   #16
Tallguy

Thanks for the support, dunno if pillion kept it more stable after blowout, it was his first time and I had to tell him to lean forward whilst accelerating, he leant sideways as we turned but leaned a bit too far sometimes round slow bimbly corners!

The extra weight may have helped, but the bizarre thing is the sudden loss of air (WOBBLEEEEEE!) then stability returning when the hole "closed over", enabling me to return to base slowly with the remaining air. This morning, of course, it's flat as Holland and the hole doesn't look reparable (can't tell from photo but it's bigger than it looks, just covered up by scrubbed rubber which slightly sealed it).

New boss is a lovely guy, he's a very senior manager and is some 12 years younger than me (he's 27, I'm 39). He gave me a lift home (significantly out of his way in his BRAND NEW Merc with less than 300 miles on the clock) as I'd've had to wait for Mrs Tallguy to get home, grab the car & drive 15 miles to pick me up.

Hoping to take him out again once the tyre's replaced, reckon I might be able to convert him out of his Merc onto an SV! He was laughing hysterically at the acceleration up the slip road, I told him that any bike over about 400cc will out accelerate most sports cars and you'd need to pay tens of thousands of £££ to get close to the performance of a £1500 bike! I could feel him breathing in as we filtered past a couple of cars at traffic lights, obviously thinking "TOO WIIIIIDE!"
Trying to bring him over to the dark side...
Old 03-06-09, 11:52 AM   #17
Tallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

I'm ex-Air Traffic Control, panic is "bashed out" of you with a big stick during training.

Doesn't mean I didn't miss a heartbeat or two, mind...
Old 03-06-09, 12:15 PM   #18
Tallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
Doesn't mean I didn't miss a heartbeat or two, mind...
Or have a sphinctre-tightening experience!
Old 03-06-09, 12:25 PM   #19
Owenski

ATC, respect to you sir.

Sounds like you have been quite fortunate for it to rapid deflate then change its mind. I know what you mean about the wobble though I described it as having your rear axle removed all of a sudden the rear wheel just seems intent on going the opposite direction to what you want it to.

Bugs me when pillions gets like that, slightly too enthusiastic so on approach to a bend they chuck themselfs down. I prefer the ones who just keep inline the bike they're more predictable.
Old 03-06-09, 01:39 PM   #20
Tallguy

£109 from Tyres-R-Us Eastleigh, much cheaper than anywhere else local, Metzeler Z6 160/60/17 as usual.

Anybody got a better deal, ride-in, ride-out, all inclusive?