SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-01-08, 08:39 AM   #1
easter

Default animal rescue

i d just like to know you thoughts on animal rescues, we have a policy that no animal is put down, no matter weather they have behaviour probs or how long they have been with us. i spoke to someone the other day from a government rescue who said if animals are not homed within 10 days they are put to sleep. i think thats awful
we even take pets home for xmas, am i just a softie or do you agree with me that all animals have the right to a happy life?
Old 14-01-08, 08:46 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: animal rescue

my mate wanted a dog, so went to the local dog pound, he had forms to fill out, questions to be answered, they wanted to do a home visit and it would have cost £100+

so he bought the local adtrader and got one for £60

thats why the pounds are full IMO
Old 14-01-08, 08:54 AM   #3
K

My first German Shepard 'found' me wandering through the campsite at Reading Festival one year. He followed me as I was heading off into town for a bit and got his tail clipped by a van as he trotted ignorantly across the main road after me. I sat down at the kerb with him - no collar etc - so put my belt round his neck and crossed back to the camp's Police tent...

... they told me they'd call their dog section to come and collect him and if the owner hadn't reported him by the end of the weekend he'd be put down!

I showed them the tree I was camped under and said I'd check back with them every day and then promptly took him for a walk to the nearest pet shop for a collar, lead, bowls n decent food.

Nobody reported him, to he festival site or local station, he came home with me on the train, via London and the underground, perfectly behaved and attentive to my every word.

Absolute gorgeous dog. Devoted, very clever and seemingly instantly well trained. Died about a year later as it turned out his liver was about a third the size it should have been, which is why, though very tall, he never really filled out into a 'big' dog.

As for an answer to your question, I dunno. It depends on the animal and the quality of the life that the shelter can give them... but that, in a great part, also depends on how people can contribute to making that quality of life the best it can be.
Old 14-01-08, 08:56 AM   #4
rigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post

so he bought the local adtrader and got one for £60
THAT is why the various dog rescue's / animal shelters are full. Getting a dog shouldn't be about how much it costs, but about how you can look after it. Sam and I help out with a breed rescue organisation, and you here too many stories of how the family thought that the dog was a good idea, but 6 months down the line found they couldn't look after it. It really is a shame, they're not commodities, but should be cherished members of a family.

To the OP, I think it is admirable that your rescue has a policy of not putting animals to sleep, however, in some cases, unfortunately, there sometimes is no other option. If an animal can't be rehomed due to behavioural issues for example, then sometimes it's better that the animal is PTS to make way for the next animal that needs shelter and stands a chance of being rehomed (IMO).

What you're doing is great though, I just wish there wasn't a need to any sort of rescue operations
Old 14-01-08, 09:13 AM   #5
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Getting a dog shouldn't be about how much it costs
i agree.

and in this case he did not know that it would work out cheaper, it just did, it was just alot of hassle at the shelter.

they wanted to know how long the dog would be left on his own, my freind (tim) and his wife work, so my freind said.........

tim: i would take the dog to work,

vet: what if he does not like driving?

tim: its ok, i will drive, he can just sit and watch.

at this point the woman behind the desk almost wet herself, but the bloke asking the questions was not to impressed

Old 14-01-08, 09:40 AM   #6
stewie

Well, we got Dennis ( the menace) from a rescue centre and I can honestly say he has been as good as gold, he,s 14 now and Im dreading the day he goes cos it,ll break my heart , but would I buy another from a rescue centre, absolutely no question.
Old 14-01-08, 11:29 AM   #7
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Absolute gorgeous dog. Devoted, very clever and seemingly instantly well trained. Died about a year later as it turned out his liver was about a third the size it should have been, which is why, though very tall, he never really filled out into a 'big' dog.
that's a lovely story with a sad ending . Our German Shepherd is a rescue dog, ex police dog, only 3 or 4 when we got him. we've had him for a few years now and the house just wouldn't be the same without him. My mum had no intention of getting that breed but when she went to the kennels he was sat in the very end one with his paw up on the door of the kennel. She took him home that day much to our surprise and delight He'd only been at the rescue place a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
If an animal can't be rehomed due to behavioural issues for example, then sometimes it's better that the animal is PTS to make way for the next animal that needs shelter and stands a chance of being rehomed (IMO).
I half agree with this.

I used to volunteer at the local RSPCA animal centre and their policy was to not put animals to sleep unless absolutely necessary. I volunteered there for over a year and when I left there were dogs who had been there the whole time I had. Some were just old and would need that extra bit of TLC, some were too hyperactive, some were very well behaved and yet still couldn't get rehomed.

But a lot was done to 'help' these dogs. A scheme called EARS (Elderly Animal Rehoming Scheme) which involves reduced prices for anyone wanting to rehome an older animal, and boosters etc included. Apparently very successful. Dogs with no/little training/with behavioural problems were assigned individual staff and training sessions were held every week. These really made a difference. I don't know what other RSPCA branches have come up with, but it just goes to show that if people make the right efforts so much more can be done. HOwever, it is difficult finding the right people and often dogs (or cats) would be brought back and the whole process would start over. I found it very sad.

I don't think putting them to sleep is the answer unless the animal has serious problems, definitely not a healthy one. It's hardly the animal's fault that the right person just hasn't come along yet.
Old 14-01-08, 11:37 AM   #8
pmapp
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Well, we got Dennis ( the menace) from a rescue centre and I can honestly say he has been as good as gold, he,s 14 now and Im dreading the day he goes cos it,ll break my heart , but would I buy another from a rescue centre, absolutely no question.

Hehe, ours is called Dennis too, and is a German Sheperd, and was a rescue pup

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-08, 11:38 AM   #9
Alpinestarhero

All anima;s have a right to a happy life, or at least one without any abuse. I'm worried about dangerous animals, those that are agressive...but I don't like the idea of them beign put down. They should be homed with responsible people though, e.g. people who would always put a muzzle on a dangerous dog, for example

Matt
Old 14-01-08, 11:43 AM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

When I was trying to re-home my Bro in Laws 2 German Shepards. The RSPCA in Salford, told us they could only have it put down as they had no room and nobody would want a very big 7 year old with an attitude.

Fortunately we found somebody who wanted a very big adult dog with attitude. He has gone from being a pet to a working dog. We pop down to keep an eye on him from a distance and talk with his new master every 2 weeks until we are happy that Rex is happy, comfortable and well cared for.