SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-03-11, 11:39 AM   #1
T0mmyGun92

Default cam chain tensioners

Hi guys and unfortunately need a very prompt reply to this.
My bike has recently developed a rattle, i'd developed a bit of an oil leak and oil levels got dangerously low, found the leak and sorted that topped up the oil. unfortunately the day before i refilled the oil it started rattling, i filled it up hoping it would get better but to no prevail. problems then got worse, it started over heating, a lot higher than its ever gone to before but reading on here a lot of people have theirs sit at around that temperature anyway but the rattle seemed to subside and the temperature seems to have now settled back down. then yesterday while out the rattle got epicly worse. it sounds to me like the cam chain tensioners and have as it has somewhere between 25 and 30,000 miles on the clock and its a k6 model on 07 plate. Might be a little premature for it to wear down but the lack of oil probably helped that.
I am looking at changing the cam chain tensioner and hoping for the best. Does anyone know if the ones from the curvy sv will fit? as i found on ebay a pair of cnc machined manual cam chain tensioners which i was about to commit to buy and then noticed it said in rather small writing "WILL FIT 99-03 models".
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
unfortunately i was ment to be driving half way across the country next friday and need the bike working. Does anyone know if these will fit and work? (i know bidding has now ended but they are still available)
Old 27-03-11, 12:50 PM   #2
jimmyb

Default Re: cam chain tensioners

hi, tommy gun, i dont see why they wont fit as the engines are the same im just unsure how often you'd have to tighten them up and how far?
Old 27-03-11, 05:15 PM   #3
hardhat_harry

Default Re: cam chain tensioners

The ones after K3 and K5 were seriously updated from the Curvy ones.

If you use manual CCT's watch out you don't overtighten but they should fit as I use K5 CCT's in my Curvy.

I've not heard anyone having CCT issues after K5.