SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-04-19, 10:03 AM   #7181
zsv650s

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

That sucks Chris why don't they do short hours instead obviously bit stuffed if you're on salary.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 10:28 AM   #7182
Chris_SVS

Find out on wednesday I suppose, if there's a positive the official finish date is 1/5 and they only owe me 1wk notice as I haven't been here long enough to matter
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 08:14 PM   #7183
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Cobbled roads. Why do they still exist? Nostalgic BS
Cobbled roads can have less grip than oiled teflon when they are wet...surprised they still meet standards for road surface, many a cyclist in tour de France has come to grief on wet cobbles, including Chris Frome

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 10:38 AM   #7184
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Cleared out dining room ready for new carpet being fitted today. Got a call at 8am to say that the carpet is in but has two obvious runs in it. So back to supplier for another. Wife is stressed as we need this room ready for a wedding on the 13th. Beats me how a poor quality carpet can even leave the factory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-19, 10:48 AM   #7185
admin
John T
Mega Poster

And yesterday we went out as we weren't expecting any deliveries. Came home about 2pm to find a DHL delivery in our drive behind my bike.
How stupid or lazy do you have to be to leave a cardboard box out in the rain?
The cloth covered chair inside was wrapped in plastic but the chair still had some damp spots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-19, 12:29 PM   #7186
Seeker
Mega Poster

One delivery driver told me if he arrives with a package and no one is home he doesn't get paid for that delivery. That is just wrong. I don't know if that applies to all companies. Equally, leaving a cardboard box out in the rain is also wrong.

I had a chair delivered too - the Poäng from Ikea. A friend had one, it seemed comfortable and assembling it made a break from stripping wallpaper.

My gripe for today is Ebay. I like ebay, I use it a lot but I always click on "UK only" and I find it infuriating that there are many overseas vendors claiming to be UK based. You can usually spot the Chinese ones by the large number of photographs and the low feedback score, frequently a Union Jack is thrown in there for good measure.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 12:58 PM   #7187
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
...infuriating that there are many overseas vendors claiming to be UK based. You can usually spot the Chinese ones by the large number of photographs and the low feedback score, frequently a Union Jack is thrown in there for good measure.

There's usually a registered official address near the very bottom of the listing that will be a China or Hong Kong address. Usually listed as items being located in London though.

Amazon is worse for this. I ordered a chain brush once and waited three months with no way of telling from the listing that it was coming from China. I'd have sooner paid a pound or two more and had it when I needed it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 12:59 PM   #7188
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
How stupid or lazy do you have to be to leave a cardboard box out in the rain?

We've had numerous parcels left in our wheelie bin and in our food recycling bin... covered in waste food and rubbish etc.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 02:30 PM   #7189
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
One delivery driver told me if he arrives with a package and no one is home he doesn't get paid for that delivery. That is just wrong. I don't know if that applies to all companies. Equally, leaving a cardboard box out in the rain is also wrong.
Delivery drivers have possibly one of the worst jobs in the world, don't know if DPD have changed but they used to fine drivers who were ill and had time off, the others seem to work long hours and have to get to really horrible places with no real access... but I suppose just like modern taxi drivers who don't know the area like they should, satnav comes to the rescue and means companies can employ anybody who can drive..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 03:26 PM   #7190
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Delivery drivers have possibly one of the worst jobs in the world...

Used to share a house with one when I left university. He had an Astra van and would set out at stupid o'clock in the mornings most days and come back exhausted late in the evening. He enjoyed it as he was largely his own boss but he said parking in central London was a nightmare and you had no choice but to get a ticket sometimes, after playing cat and mouse with the wardens. He said the trick was to go round the block a few times to see where they were and time it right to dive into the office you were dropping to and get out before the warden swept back round again, although they often spotted people like him, guessed where he was going and nip through a shortcut to get him. All in the pre-sat nav days too. Rather him than me but then he thought I was nuts going to an office for nine hours a day.