SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-05-13, 06:51 AM   #11
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shooting & stuff

I know

Which is why its kept stripped down. Kind of stating the obvious there, despite what some may think some people actually look up and follow the laws of the sport they enjoy. I also carry around the relevant documents for any member of the public to view if they have a complaint to make about what we're doing. Which I'm glad I do as its already come into use for some rambler threatening to phone the police. For some reason I get nothing but agro from members of the public just for an air rifle despite being private land and following the regulations on the quarry for plinking. I could probably stand there firing off a 50 cal and get less attention.

Also get the land owners permission in writing. It's worth following all the laws to the T as you'd be surprised at how many people will get in a hissy fit about a rifle.

Edit. Yes meant feet.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 28-05-13 at 07:36 AM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-13, 07:06 PM   #12
tinpants
Ubique

I have long been into shooting in many of its forms. First started when I was about 11 when my dad bought me a new Diana G80 .22 air rifle. I then progressed to the supervised use of a shotgun at the age of 14. I've had my own SGC for years but have recently gone back to an air rifle. Me and the boy go out rabbiting quite a lot. As Gav has said, it's really addictive. Not just the rabbiting but the whole process of getting out and zeroing the sights etc. I'd like to do my FAC in the not too distant future but its a bit pricey (for the rifle!!) so it may have to wait a bit.
My air rifle is a Webley Axsor, in .22, with a Twink moderator and a Harris bipod. The boy has a BSA Ultra Multi in .177, with a Weihrauch moderator and Harris bipod. Both guns have 3-9x50 IR sights.
The shotguns are a Lincoln O/U 12g, a Gunmark Sable sbs sidelock 12g and an AYA Number 3 boxlock non ejector in 12g.

Love shooting. Whether its clays, paper targets or bunnies etc.
Old 29-05-13, 05:57 PM   #13
85jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey121uk View Post
...loadsa stuff...
Really interesting, thanks for all the information and the links; that .243 is a complete monster! Didn't realise that clays were so expensive, given that the Rottweiler cartridges we were using were only about 20p each I think I'd be better off just trying to get dinner more often

Thinking about all this & given what you say about experience etc. I reckon the best course of action for me would be to get the sgc and shoot for a couple of years on land which is also rated for a rifle caliber, then get some experience with a rifle via someone who knows their stuff, then apply for the closed FAC using something sensible like an HMR, then get upgraded to an open license in the future with some more experience under my belt.

It all seems like experience, experience, experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpants View Post
Love shooting. Whether its clays, paper targets or bunnies etc.
It is really addictive - really bought home to me that we are all, in fact, just animals who have evolved to hunt and the mode that your brain goes into in that situation... well it's a bit like riding a motorcycle! Calm, relaxed, and singularly focussed, with maybe a touch of heart flutter

Good rifle the Axsor, I used one some 8 years ago (first experience with a pcp) though I've heard the quality of Webleys has gone down since they moved manufacturing to Turkey? I always wanted an axsor, maybe one day...

wrt. shotguns I used a beretta o/u 12g boxlock on the weekend and there was some level of jibing and jesting about o/u vs side by side - I believe that an o/u was described as an "artless killer's penis extension" - not a school of though I'd subscribe to but apparently it's easier to hit stuff with them. I certainly did well for a newbie! What is your preference?
Old 29-05-13, 09:38 PM   #14
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85jas View Post
Really interesting, thanks for all the information and the links; that .243 is a complete monster! Didn't realise that clays were so expensive, given that the Rottweiler cartridges we were using were only about 20p each I think I'd be better off just trying to get dinner more often

Thinking about all this & given what you say about experience etc. I reckon the best course of action for me would be to get the sgc and shoot for a couple of years on land which is also rated for a rifle caliber, then get some experience with a rifle via someone who knows their stuff, then apply for the closed FAC using something sensible like an HMR, then get upgraded to an open license in the future with some more experience under my belt.

It all seems like experience, experience, experience!

It is really addictive - really bought home to me that we are all, in fact, just animals who have evolved to hunt and the mode that your brain goes into in that situation... well it's a bit like riding a motorcycle! Calm, relaxed, and singularly focussed, with maybe a touch of heart flutter

Good rifle the Axsor, I used one some 8 years ago (first experience with a pcp) though I've heard the quality of Webleys has gone down since they moved manufacturing to Turkey? I always wanted an axsor, maybe one day...

wrt. shotguns I used a beretta o/u 12g boxlock on the weekend and there was some level of jibing and jesting about o/u vs side by side - I believe that an o/u was described as an "artless killer's penis extension" - not a school of though I'd subscribe to but apparently it's easier to hit stuff with them. I certainly did well for a newbie! What is your preference?
Don't worry about experience I had non when I applied for my FAC, you just need basic knowledge and the ability to justify the gun you want. My feo asked me why I wanted a 17HMR as well as a 22lr so I give him 3 solid reasons for needing it, longer range, less ricochets and flatter trajectory - On asking why I wanted a 22lr too if the HMR was superior, I gave him the reason that its ideal for night shooting due to the combination of a moderator and sub sonic ammo resulting in near silent shooting. I'm sure the outcome would of been totally different if I appeared clueless!

If you have the need for a FAC apply for it now before it gets even more difficult, its worth noting that shotgun experience counts towards nothing for rifle experience, some people say this is wrong but its just the way it is. Although a shotgun will give you experience of safe handling and security procedures it won't give you much experience on rifle ballistics such as backstops. Ultimately if you miss with a shotgun you are not going to kill some unlucky sod a mile away with a stray round nor will you have to worry about ricochets.

PS - you need to apply for moderators in addition to your guns, if you forget it will cost you 26quid for a variation!

SxS vs OU - the OU is superior in every way but SxS are seen as an old English tradition

Last edited by grimey121uk; 29-05-13 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-07-13, 08:03 AM   #15
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Shooting & stuff

Are any of you guys, other than wide boy, down south? Bournemouth Poole ish way? I have just gotten myself a .177 BSA lightning that I want to use for target shooting amd once a bit more proficient move on to hunting. I ideally want to get my fac but as it has been a while since firing live ammo wanted to get back in the swing of it.

Just wondering where you go to shoot for targets? Do you use a range or gardens etc? I am looking at joining Christchurch gun club but that could take a while.

If any if you are local enough amd would consider getting together for a shoot to help me hone my skills and also zero my scope that would be great!
Old 12-07-13, 08:08 AM   #16
Specialone

Not down you're way but if it helps I'm going clay pigeon shooting tomorrow
Old 12-07-13, 08:48 AM   #17
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Why what's wrong with me?

I've never been to clubs but have been looking into it as the land access I have is getting more limited. I'd imagine some clubs to be sterile and clique so I'm just about to get my insurance membership deeley and go chat to some farmers. The two pieces of land I have access to are pretty limited, the first one the neighbour has just died and half of it is their land. The second place the farmers wife doesn't like it (although he appreciates it) so it's only when she's not about.

My friend had an invite to Portsmouth & Havant club (or something like that in that area) and said it was utter shehight. So would be worth going to look around before signing up and paying the fee's.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 12-07-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 08:52 AM   #18
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Shooting & stuff

Nothing! Just that I knew you were down this way already!

Yeah I have been thinking about places near by and honestly can't really think if anywhere to start in terms of approaching farmers etc.

Think I will get joined up with the club and get a lot of practice in then I can look at insurance and farmers etc.

There was a fairly reasonably sized farm near my old place but no idea who owned the land!
Old 12-07-13, 09:01 AM   #19
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

It's difficult to find somewhere. Most farmers seem to be worried if members of the public are roaming when you're shooting. I've not been doing it long but I've found a lot of people won't tell you where they shoot or are dismissive, I can only think this is because they have a sweet spot and don't want people stepping on their toes. I can understand this as one of my mates is trigger happy/greedy and ruins a lot of shots by either stealing it or constantly zero'ing in and making a racket.

I would invite you up but it's not up to me

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 12-07-13 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 09:04 AM   #20
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Shooting & stuff

Makes sense, what are the rules on where you can shoot?

Does it have to be private land or could you pitch up in the middle of the new forest and start taking on the wabbits? Or how about wood land areas in less built up areas of town?