SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-03-19, 09:37 AM   #7111
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Morgan cars have been bought by an Italian company. I'm so tired of everything British being sold off.

Especially by a company from a country that is itself bankrupt, still look on the bright side the styling may improve even if the electrics get worse.

Funny that despite ( or may be because of brexit because these companies can see the opportunities it will bring for business ) UK companies are still attractive, and the lower £ helps of course.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 01:41 PM   #7112
timwilky
Mega Poster

1st world problems

I have credit cards that are used very occasionally. Booking holidays etc. So yesterday I am trying to order a new phone on line and to protect myself use one of my cards.

Both cards rejected and I finally resorted to using paypal. One has just phoned me from the fraud department to verify if my transaction attempt was genuine.

He stupidly asked for personal information to verify me. and accepted my response that I am not going to give that info to a cold caller and he gave me some of my account info to verify himself first.

He then asked about my failed transactions that had been tagged as potentially fraudulent and accepted it was embarrassing for me not to be able to complete a genuine transaction. and promised to feedback that they should immediately contact the account holder under such circumstances to verify.

His excuse being they had tagged a large number of transactions with that supplier (Samsung online shop) and had built such a queue that they had a time delay to verify the attempt.

Still they have now given me a contact number should it happen again. But at least the rejection was on line. A normal face to face transaction with a rejected card would have been embarrassing.
Old 08-03-19, 06:51 AM   #7113
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
1st world problems

I have credit cards that are used very occasionally. Booking holidays etc. So yesterday I am trying to order a new phone on line and to protect myself use one of my cards.

Both cards rejected and I finally resorted to using paypal. One has just phoned me from the fraud department to verify if my transaction attempt was genuine.

He stupidly asked for personal information to verify me. and accepted my response that I am not going to give that info to a cold caller and he gave me some of my account info to verify himself first.

He then asked about my failed transactions that had been tagged as potentially fraudulent and accepted it was embarrassing for me not to be able to complete a genuine transaction. and promised to feedback that they should immediately contact the account holder under such circumstances to verify.

His excuse being they had tagged a large number of transactions with that supplier (Samsung online shop) and had built such a queue that they had a time delay to verify the attempt.

Still they have now given me a contact number should it happen again. But at least the rejection was on line. A normal face to face transaction with a rejected card would have been embarrassing.
If I'm making an unusually large or out of character purchase I call my card company first to let them know. Same if I am using the card abroad.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-19, 09:55 AM   #7114
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
If I'm making an unusually large or out of character purchase I call my card company first to let them know. Same if I am using the card abroad.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I've tried doing that and was told I didn't need to bother. And then I had an experience a bit like Tim's but face-to-face in Carphone Warehouse... Not much fun and I was a bit shouty at the fraud team when they called me two minutes later. Thankfully I have not had any issues using cashpoints outside of the UK so far but I had my fingers firmly crossed every time I did so.
Old 08-03-19, 10:04 AM   #7115
Bibio
Mega Poster

banks dont like phone companies full stop. every time i try topping up my phone with £30 credit i get a stop put on my card. i can ride my bike all over scotland and pay for food/fuel hundreds of miles apart in the same day and i have never had my card stopped. well i thought i had once but i took the wrong card with me on my jollys...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 02:49 PM   #7116
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

But if it happened the other way and it was fraud and they let someone get away with an unusually large purchase on a card, everyone would be ****ed off with banks for allowing fraud. I'd rather be checked on sometimes than be open to having my card scammed.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 02:49 PM   #7117
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

^ It appears the forum doens't like the phrase "pi55ed off" !
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 03:54 PM   #7118
Chris_SVS

The prospect of cancelling a long weekend away on bike.. The weather is as crap here is it will be in ROI so will probably not be able to see any of the scenery on planned routes.

I would conclude the mountain passes I wanted to ride would be dangerous as some of them are single track and barely paved

G2: I've ran out of JD, unexpectedly

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 08-03-19 at 03:56 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 04:59 PM   #7119
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
^ It appears the forum doens't like the phrase "pi55ed off" !
Try p!553d 0ff

There, that works.

On the credit card thing the companies claim that their clever software builds up a profile of your normal usage and if anything out of the ordinary happens it rings alarm bells. Now I only use my credit card for fuel max once a week ( too many cases of service station card machines being tampered with or crooked staff for my liking so will not use debit card ) and occasionally on the internet. Well last year my card was stopped after about 30 payments of below £30 had been taken out by the same company over about 3 days, didn't cost me anything but it makes we wonder how good the software is....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-03-19 at 05:07 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 06:07 PM   #7120
maviczap
Mega Poster

Had a headache from sinus pain most of the day, came home to this rancid smell of my vegetarian daughters Pad Thai cooking sauce, nearly made me vomit.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote