SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-05-15, 10:01 AM   #1
tonyk
Mega Poster

Default Trip to Scotland.

Guys.
Stopping off at the Lake District then on to Scotland, was thinking of going to Edinburgh, spending a few nights then onto the highlands. Fort William, Inverness then john o'groats, choice's but anywhere else recommended places to stay.
Ps Going by car.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 10:04 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trip to Scotland.

Here from our very own James Mio

http://www.motogoloco.com/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 11:50 AM   #3
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

I wouldn't bother with John O' Groats, I would guess a good few others would agree.

Other than Motogoloco's places to stay I'd say give Ceol Na Mara a try. Its beautifully placed on the Kyle of Lochalsh and from there you can do Skye, Applecross and Plockton. (if you can pay the little bit extra for the big room, its stunning)

I'd also avoid staying in Fort William, its a sad shell of its self and a little bit depressing, if you want to stay in that area, try The MacDonald Hotel & Cabins its a little rough around the edges, but there's a good reason the GM is going back there, Mark and Helen are lovely hosts and doing a good job of updating the whole place. The view down the Loch is a win every time.

I'd say if you were willing to go wigwams the Applecross campsite would be a great place to stay, its a two minute walk to the Inn, and the food in there is great.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-15, 12:38 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

if your going to visit Edin then get somewhere on the outskirts with free parking then use the bus to get around. Edin has the best bus service in the whole of the UK and a day rider is about £3.80 which lets you jump on and off any bus all day long. there is loads to do in Edin but its not cheep.

if you want a few hints on where to visit while in Edin gives a shout as there is that much.

dont bother with the east coast and instead get yourself up the west coast as that is where the scenery is. JOG is a must do if you have to but otherwise dont bother.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-15, 02:12 PM   #5
Dipper

I've just been to Durness via Arran, Mull, Skye and the west coast in a car, fantastic trip. As the others have said forget JOG ...waste of time.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 10:39 PM   #6
haggis

As others said, avoid John o'Groats really. Ullapool is a much nicer spot. From Inverness take the a82 back to drumnadrochit, all the way up beautiful and ultra remote glenaffric to Cannich and maybe stay at struy inn. From there take in beauly and strathpeffer and make tracks to ullapool. Return via the west coast road to Kinlochewe and plockton.
Old 31-05-15, 11:10 PM   #7
DJFridge

I can second Ullapool. Mrs and I did a short round trip about 15 years ago which was York, Musselburgh, Peterculter, Inverness, Ullapool, Fort William, Dumfries and then back to the south coast (via Swansea, long story). Ullapool was lovely, the B&B overlooked the sound but was only a 2 minute drive from the town. I quite like Inverness as a town, Fort William is nice too. If you don't mind leaving the car for a few days, drive to Mallaig and get on the boat to Rum. Beautiful island, I stayed in the hostel attached to Kinloch Castle for a few nights in my twenties, brilliant walking there. Stirling was quite nice too (different trip).
Old 01-06-15, 12:13 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

i have only been shopping once in Inverness and that resulted in me holding a door open for a little old lady who than said your not from here are you i said no she said i thought so as people have no manners here anymore. this actually disturbed me to think that people dont hold doors open for old people.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 08:48 AM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

The Dicky Ticker memorial riders have just made their trip to Ullapool for an extended weekend.

Its a favourite spot.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 10:07 PM   #10
Mrs DJ Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFridge View Post
I can second Ullapool. Mrs and I did a short round trip about 15 years ago which was York, Musselburgh, Peterculter, Inverness, Ullapool, Fort William, Dumfries and then back to the south coast (via Swansea, long story). Ullapool was lovely, the B&B overlooked the sound but was only a 2 minute drive from the town. I quite like Inverness as a town, Fort William is nice too. If you don't mind leaving the car for a few days, drive to Mallaig and get on the boat to Rum. Beautiful island, I stayed in the hostel attached to Kinloch Castle for a few nights in my twenties, brilliant walking there. Stirling was quite nice too (different trip).
I can say for definate that it was 16 years ago as I was pregnant with eldest who is now doing GCSE's, fantastic area though, great trip for DJ as he hand a driver on had all the time as I could not drink. Yes Ullapool was lovely, but the midges were everywhere.