SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-11-04, 11:34 PM   #1
peteee

Default Sheds that count as a garage for insurance purposes

Does anyone have any advice as to how to make a garden shed count as a garage for insurance purposes?

I'm about to massacre the back garden and put a huge shed in there, in lieu of being able to move to a place with a garage, and I'm sure I've heard about some companies that make sheds that are strong enough to be eligible for insurance discounts.

And no, I'm not talkinga bout those Bikesafe things. I want something big enough to keep two bikes in and keep tools and kit in as well.

Also, has anyoen got any experience with insurance companies regarding this? Amy recommendations as to which comapnies would accept it?

Cheers in advance
Pete

P.S. I know I haven't been around for a while, chopped in the SV for a CBR600RR.... anyone seen my old SV around? Black, nekkid with twin underseat Rene's.....
Old 21-11-04, 04:51 AM   #2
amarko5

mostly all (well yes all) the companies i have talked to regarding this very matter, have stated A BRICK BUILT STRUCTURE is the only think they call secure.

Why I will never know but that is their policy.
Old 21-11-04, 08:52 AM   #3
Anonymous

might get round it if you put down foundations and shed on top. you might not of course, check before spending more money
Old 21-11-04, 10:24 AM   #4
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Try H&R Insurance 2000 www.insurance2000.co.uk

They have good prices on TPFT without a garage.

In london SE15, i was being quoted about £1500-2000 by everyone else, by H&R it was £780. And i did not even have to have any security on the bike.
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-04, 10:43 AM   #5
Warren

why not build a garage ?
weve got a shed thats brick built with plastic canopy for the roof.
Old 21-11-04, 12:07 PM   #6
peteee

Thanks for the replies so far.

Getting insurance isn't really the problem, as I already have that. The thing is, I am definitely going to build the shed, so it's more about killing 2 birds with one stone.

I alos want to make it as attractive as possible (for a shed).

Are there such things as metal sheds with wooden facings?
Old 21-11-04, 12:56 PM   #7
kjames

it would be quite easy to line a metal shed with timber. you'd just screw some vertical timber rails to it and then nail some horizontal boarding (shiplap or similar) or vice versa. you'd also be able to put some insulation in the cavity between the metal and timber skin, which would make you shed toasty..ish and better for working on.

same principal for the roof.
Old 21-11-04, 12:57 PM   #8
kjames

it would be quite easy to line a metal shed with timber. you'd just screw some vertical timber rails to it and then nail some horizontal boarding (shiplap or similar) or vice versa. you'd also be able to put some insulation in the cavity between the metal and timber skin, which would make you shed toasty..ish and better for working on.

same principal for the roof.
Old 21-11-04, 01:16 PM   #9
Allseeing

When I was looking round for insurance having the bike in a garage made a difference of about £150 over the year and all the quotes I got suggested that the garage had to be a brick structure.

In the end I layed a concrete foundation in the back garden and used breeze blocks to create two parallel walls. I then used some spare 4 by 2 I had to tie the walls together, build the main sloping roof structure and two door frames. I finished the roof off with some transparent corrugated sheeting and built two doors out of sturdy but unfinished timber. The whole thing cost £150 and was all done over the August bank holiday weekend.

Once the structure is done it can be finished how you like. You could clad it in wood, paint it etc.. In my case I've created a flower bed in front of the brick walls and I'm growing Ivy up them to cover the shed, by next year the whole thing should be nicely camoflaged.

A.S.
Old 21-11-04, 03:04 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

From what I recall the terms used by the insurance co.s are along the lines of "concrete, stone, or brick built".

My garage is built from heavy duty concrete fence components, 5" square slotted posts and 2m long panels, then a pitched roof.

Concrete sectional "sheds" are around, which I'm sure would satisfy the requirements, it also virtually eliminates maintenance for the first 30yrs at least. The main issue is making sure the door is big enough to get the bike(s) in and out easily.

You're usually OK with Planning for such structures, Council Offices do a nice little booklet (or look on-line under "permitted development") which spells out what you can do without Planning Permission. Building Control is another issue. Usually a good idea to let the neighbours know first, then they don't complain!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote