SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-06, 09:50 AM   #1
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Clothing advice.

Weather forcast for tomorrow is 27c and dry.

I have the options of "proper" leathers or Draggin Jeans on the legs and "proper" leather jacket or Joe Rocket mesh jacket (with or without lining)

Got Day One of my Direct Access happening tomorrow, and not quite sure what will be most comfortable for a days riding - will the leathers be too hot? Will the jeans not break the wind enough when riding on the road?

Answers on a postcard please.......(or a reply to this thread)

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 09:55 AM   #2
Balky001
Mega Poster

you're not gping to be hacking it and the instructor will makes sure you are OK so I'd go for the mesh and jeans option. Once you passed your test I'd go for leathers as above 60 they are cool enough even in the hottest heat (if vented) anyway.
Old 04-08-06, 09:56 AM   #3
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Proper leathers is always best when on lessons i think. It shows the instructors that you take your kit as seriously as your desire to learn to ride.
Having said that i personaly dont see anything wrong with a pair of Draggin's and a mesh jacket.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 09:57 AM   #4
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
you're not gping to be hacking it and the instructor will makes sure you are OK so I'd go for the mesh and jeans option. Once you passed your test I'd go for leathers as above 60 they are cool enough even in the hottest heat (if vented) anyway.
I mean wot he said - but there isn't one of those.

edit: I suppose there's

But then I'm not 100% sure what the mesh jacket is like - if it has no abrasion protection then no.
And I agree with Spidy that if people don't notice they're Draggin and they just look like jeans they can give the wrong impression.

Actually, I think I'd better just run away and hide.
Good Luck tho'
and I hope you're right with the weather!
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 10:07 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Proper leathers is always best when on lessons i think. It shows the instructors that you take your kit as seriously as your desire to learn to ride.
Having said that i personaly dont see anything wrong with a pair of Draggin's and a mesh jacket.
Turned up for 1st day of CBT in full leathers in the 30+ heat - was advised of instructors concern that I may be too hot - but commended on what I was wearing. He was good enough to come look at, and advise me on some of the lighter stuff to consider.

Went and got the Jeans and Jacket and went to 2nd day of CBT - saw same instructor (tho he wasnt the one taking the group that I was with) and got the thumbs up from him.

Would personally prefer the leathers, but I had SERIOUS leg cramps - calves and thighs in the evening on day one - probably due to dehydration/loss of salt.

David
Old 04-08-06, 10:10 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

IIRC on my DAS I did alot of town riding and U turns and emergency stop practice. I think that in leathers all day you are going to sweat and be hot. Which is going to effect your concentration I found DAS tiring.

Whilst I like the protection that leathers give. I dont see anything wrong in a Textile Jacket and Draggin jeans. I think you'll be OK. I've seen plenty of learner riders in normal jeans and trainers on lessons and nobody bats and eyelid at that.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 10:11 AM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
Quote:
Turned up for 1st day of CBT in full leathers in the 30+ heat - was advised of instructors concern that I may be too hot - but commended on what I was wearing. He was good enough to come look at, and advise me on some of the lighter stuff to consider.

Went and got the Jeans and Jacket and went to 2nd day of CBT - saw same instructor (tho he wasnt the one taking the group that I was with) and got the thumbs up from him.

Would personally prefer the leathers, but I had SERIOUS leg cramps - calves and thighs in the evening on day one - probably due to dehydration/loss of salt.

David
I think you know the answer then
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-06, 10:28 AM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
Quote:

David
I think you know the answer then
Actually the answer was in the post above, wth reference to the content of the course

I was unsure if it was the fact we were very-stop start AND only on a playground that made the leathers worse than they were - no real experience yet on the road (apart from my CBT as work crap stopped me from being able to go hire a 125 for a week to get more practise - damned on-call rota !!!)

So Jeans and Jacket I think

Thanks for the advice.

David

Oh and BTW the instructor on my 1st CBT DID make comment on the attire of some of the guys who were on it with me - mainly about short sleeves.

Ans on footware - nothing beats the girl I saw on a scooter the other day going up Park Lane with 3" heels.........
Old 04-08-06, 11:27 AM   #9
Nick762

When I think what I wore on my CBT... jeans, combat boots, a pair of ex army NI combat gloves and a yellow traffic coat (OK, it was February) but I learnt and had invested in an HG Voyager jacket and some pathan gloves by the time I did the DAS bit. Still got away with some heavyweight jeans, longjohns and waterproof overtrousers, wouldn't dream of wearing them now tho.

The only people I saw on the CBT with full racing leathers and knee sliders were the women who had previously been out on their husbands/boyfriends bikes as pillions. Not sure what the instructors thought of knee sliders on day one of CBT
Old 04-08-06, 11:29 AM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I had a heavy textile jacket and textile trousers when I did my CBT and test... For the stuff in the practice yard, it was an absolute nightmare, but they wouldn't let me do it in a t-shirt. Just one of the many things that helped me "fail" CBT 4 times (though it was mainly a complete inability to ride a bike!) I wish I'd had my mesh jacket then.

I always wear some sort of armoured trousers, won't compromise on that- well, having fractured my hip while walking, I put some thought into what would have happened if I'd taken the same fall at 70mph Legs take a beating in most crashes, it seems, looking at my gear that I've crashed in the legs aer always worse off than the jacket. Draggin jeans are ace, but I wouldn't wear them without armour, and they look a bit crazy with decent armour in- bulges in strange places...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote