SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-04-08, 07:39 PM   #1
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Route 66

Anybody done it? know someone who has?

It's something i've always wanted to do, and until i was discussing the idea of holidays with the family after much alcohol consumption it was only a dream, i'd love to do it by motorcycle, my dad is keen on the idea but would prefer to do it by car

images of one harley and one mustang cruising the mother road together are probably as far from reality as it could get, but can something approaching my dream be reproduced in reality?
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:51 PM   #2
Camel

Default Re: Route 66

I think I remember reading / hearing someone say they did it, and it was quite a boring route.

Sorry, I don't mean to wee wee on your bonfire!

Have you been to America before? Seen much of it?

The reason I ask is that it is a great and varied place, as far as scenery goes. As far as the people etc, I personally like the whole USA thing. I know some people detest America / Americans....but I would say get yourself over there.

I am lucky enough to have spent a bit of time over there (I have family out there, plus the ex-wife worked for an airline) and I did a fair bit of travelling.

Pacific Coast Highway in California is great, and there are some fabulous roads around the LA region. You have the choice of mountain roads, or coastal roads right on your doorstep!

Then, if you fancy a bit of a road trip, LA to Vegas is approx 4 - 5 hours drive through the desert, with small mini towns / developments along the way. Plus Vegas is great....for a couple of days. You have Hoover Damn very close, and the Grand Canyon not much further away.

Anyway, to summerise......I have no idea re: Route 66.
Old 12-04-08, 08:06 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
Have you been to America before? Seen much of it?
several trips to north america (inexplicably including 4 or 5 seperate trips to new york...) but we did san fransisco to phoenix to las vegas (via flagstaff and the grand canyon) a few years ago and it only confirmed the idea of doing route 66
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 12-04-08, 08:33 PM   #4
Camel

In that case you should go for it! Get a big Harley, and take your Dad on the back!
Old 12-04-08, 08:37 PM   #5
Ed

El Boc on here did it - I'm sure it was he.

America - Sigh - I can't afford to go back this year. Shouldn't have bought a new bike!!
Old 12-04-08, 08:54 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Watching this thread with interest, got a mate and his dad who fancy doing the same. Highway 1 sounds pretty good, just had a glance at one way harley rentals and looks to be about $100 a day, or 50 quid, throw in some seedy motels and burgers and life's good
Old 12-04-08, 09:06 PM   #7
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Watching this thread with interest, got a mate and his dad who fancy doing the same. Highway 1 sounds pretty good, just had a glance at one way harley rentals and looks to be about $100 a day, or 50 quid, throw in some seedy motels and burgers and life's good
tim, i've casually researched the idea since getting my license, i'd anticipate a minimum of 14 days to do LA --> Chicago - to rent a road king / electraglide would set you back ~$1600

Camel - i doubt i'd get my dad on the back of a harley for two weeks - plus my sister wants to go too, but she wants to do the blues route down through tennessee and further afterwards. i reckon it'd be good to have a corvette backup team too, perhaps with a can of petrol in the boot and carrying the luggage
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 12-04-08, 09:30 PM   #8
Dicky Ticker

Sorry don't have the link but the Triumph Club at Southend Airport did it and there is a day -to-day diary of the complete trip including getting the bikes shipped out and back

Might be helpful
Old 12-04-08, 10:50 PM   #9
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
Pacific Coast Highway in California is great, and there are some fabulous roads around the LA region. You have the choice of mountain roads, or coastal roads right on your doorstep!

Then, if you fancy a bit of a road trip, LA to Vegas is approx 4 - 5 hours drive through the desert, with small mini towns / developments along the way. Plus Vegas is great....for a couple of days. You have Hoover Damn very close, and the Grand Canyon not much further away.
Indeed - the fiancee is from Tustin (about 1 hour from LA, traffic dependent). Vegas 4 hours away, mountains nearby, beach nearby, etc...fantastic place!
Old 13-04-08, 09:30 AM   #10
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

don't flame me for saying this but...................... I'd like to do it in a 69 dodge charger

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote