SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-12, 10:51 PM   #1
rob650

Default Choke lever won't stay place.

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me please.

The choke on my 99 K1 SVSY won't stay open without me holding it open, it just springs closed if I let go of it. The choke functions correctly but only with me holding it open - can it be adjusted to give the lever some resistance/friction to hold it open?

Cheers

Rob

Last edited by rob650; 26-03-12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 26-03-12, 10:59 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Choke issue on my K1

it should stay open by itself, is this something that just happened or has gradually come about?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-12, 11:05 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

this might help.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=71305
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-12, 11:46 PM   #4
Destruktor77

I've recently fixed my choke from not opening at all. Just under the tank near the front carb on the left side of the bike there is a splitter where to cable goes off to the front then the rear carb. That is where mine was jammed. Maybe yours has opened or cracked or something or is just overly greased to not cause any resistance.

Also check where the cables attach to the carbs. Make sure the plungers are inside properly to create some sort of resistance.

This is about all I can suggest from what I saw over the weekend (I completely took the whole choke assembly out)
Old 27-03-12, 12:42 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Resistance does not come from cable/plunger, there should be none. Resistance is from little thing inside lever with spring on it.
Old 27-03-12, 07:34 AM   #6
MrMessy

I had this on a SV once. Just undid the switchgear and wrapped insulation tape around the handlebar. Worked fine.
MrMessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-12, 07:34 AM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
it should stay open by itself, is this something that just happened or has gradually come about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Resistance does not come from cable/plunger, there should be none. Resistance is from little thing inside lever with spring on it.
Two good questions.
The choke lever provides the resistance, inside the switchgear there is a pad that presses against the lever, held there by a spring, this provides friction to stop the lever moving due to return spring pressure. If the problem gradually happened then the pad may be worn/damaged, if it happened suddenly the spring may have broken.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-12, 07:28 PM   #8
rob650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post

Ah, the reason my post lacked that answer is that I've just brought the bike and wasn't overally sure if this was the design (i doubted) or if that's just how they were.

When I brought the bike this is how it was. No resistance at all.

Cheers
Old 28-03-12, 07:32 PM   #9
rob650

Default Re: Choke lever won't stay place.

Thanks for your posts guys, I've only owned my SV for a few weeks and it's the first SV I've owned so wasn't sure if this is how they are.

So I brought the bike like this and need to sort it.

Following Sid's post regarding how it works I'll check for a broken spring in the morning and report back.

Thanks a lot

Rob