SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-05, 08:59 PM   #1
cassius

Default rear shock replacement?

does anybody know of an uprated rear shock that goes straight onto an sk2 without needing any modifying? i have been thinking about changing it for a while but i don't want to bodge anything on. but on the flip side i don't want to spend £450 on an ohlins or similar. and also does uprating the fork springs make a massive difference or is a transplant required for these too??
Old 12-04-05, 09:13 PM   #2
BURNER

Cheapest aftermarket shock is a Hagon, about £250- Ads in MCN or give them a bell on 0208 502 6222
Most of us have fitted new single rate springs with the pre-load adjusters from the '02 model. As you should already have those, new springs and oil to firm up the front are suggested.
Old 12-04-05, 09:23 PM   #3
himmel

Default shock abs

In Italy ther's a guy who build rear shock for SV. On my own experience they work pretty well and the price you pay (300 euro) is not comparable to Ohlins, FG, etc. Here you can have a look on it.

No idea if he meant selling the shocks over there.
Old 13-04-05, 10:58 AM   #4
watto

Hey champ how goes it, This topic has come up over here in Australia as well.
Here's the link for the topic concerning replacement shocks from various other bikes that are all readily available on Ebay.
It started out for 03+ models but there has been a lot of interest for pre 03 models as well.
http://www.svdownunder.com/forums/in...p?topic=1455.0
Old 13-04-05, 11:10 AM   #5
Grinch

You could try a ZXR 636 2004 shock.
Old 13-04-05, 11:14 AM   #6
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I find it interesting that people keep recommending the ZX6R rear shocks.

Why do you think there are so many being changed? It because they are all far too hard even for the Kawasaki.

Are you putting the SV spring on it or something? I can't understand how it would work as a direct replacement if you aren't modifying it in some way.
Old 13-04-05, 11:16 AM   #7
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I find it interesting that people keep recommending the ZX6R rear shocks.

Why do you think there are so many being changed? It because they are all far too hard even for the Kawasaki.

Are you putting the SV spring on it or something? I can't understand how it would work as a direct replacement if you aren't modifying it in some way.
I'm quite podgy... so hard is good for me, I find the SV shock way to soft.
I'll have to cut the battery box to fit it, but I haven't had time with the baby ariving.
Old 13-04-05, 07:31 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

I'd maybe speak to Clayton at SVRaceShop.com... He'll do a light rebuild on the more recent GSXR Showas to lengthen them and give you decent adjustability, and it's a better shock in the first place than the 636 one... $275, though there'll be postage as well- but just now, $275 is under £150. If half what I've heard it's true, that's a great buy- I've not seen a single dissatisfied customer on SV Rider. I don't know for sure if he'll post internationally, but I think it'd be worht the ask.

I think people recommend the 636 shock simply because it's been tried and tested and most people are satisfied with it... It's also more freely available than the SRAD one.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-05, 09:43 PM   #9
Dan_SV

Can't remember exact figures for the Shocks, but off the top of my head the 636 shock has a spring which is only 30lbs stiffer than the SV one.

Seeing as the SV shock it sprung about right for someone of ten stone, the extra spring rate is welcome. The 636 shock is sprung well for riders of 13 stone upwards (which is me as I'm a fat ******* ).

Bearing in mind that different bikes run different ratios on the rising rate, so a shock that is hard on one, can be soft on another if the leverage is greater.

A lot of the problem (classically) with old Kawasaki's was actually the design of the rear shock linkage. NWS made a new shock linkage to replace the old one, which much improved the suspension quality on the ZXR750's, without having to change the rear shock.

The real point is though, if its big stick that gives you the optimum suspension and damping, then we would all be fitting big sticks. If it works it works.

Dan.