SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-11, 08:16 PM   #11
musne

Default Re: Motorcycle accident - repair quality?

Does anyone know if I can make a complaint in any form either written or over the phone about this because I'm seriously ticked off here.

I know it will take them a good part of 3 weeks to fix everything and I will most probably show up there and get ****ed off because of one thing or another.

I want to ring up my insurance and tell them to cease repairs.

Last edited by musne; 29-03-11 at 08:58 PM.
Old 29-03-11, 09:01 PM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

If you plastic weld panels back together properly they're as good as new. The sorts of filler and primer that they use will hold up as well as new. If done properly.

That looks totally cosmetic to me, very low chance of frame damage, I'd ride it unless t'other side is a nightmare.

That little scratch on the frame top-right is probably enough to write it off

Personally I'd be more concerned if the exhaust system has munched the swingarm.

Or worse if the exhaust system has been damaged, of course you'd be happy to take a cash settlement of less than the value of an OEM suzuki system. Get a proper full system then
Old 29-03-11, 09:07 PM   #13
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I wouldn't be surprised if they can get it looking as new but my only concern would be strength. (but then again how often do you test panel strength?).
You've complained to them, they've said no I'd see what it looks like and then go nuts if it looks ****e. - Get a hire bike in the meantime though!

(as long as you're sure the guy had insurance!)
Old 29-03-11, 09:17 PM   #14
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they can get it looking as new but my only concern would be strength. (but then again how often do you test panel strength?).
You've complained to them, they've said no I'd see what it looks like and then go nuts if it looks ****e. - Get a hire bike in the meantime though!

(as long as you're sure the guy had insurance!)
Yea that's what I think of doing but it will waste so much time. Anyway, I've kept a piece of the broken cowl and I will compare the paint they put on it to that. I swear on my life that if I see ANYTHING that is not to an immaculate condition, I will go ape ****.

About the hire bike, they offered me a courtesy bike but i'm not fit to ride at the moment.

about the previous comment? The impact was 100% on the exhaust look at the pic below

if you wanna see more pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=3c77ca0da8
Old 29-03-11, 09:23 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

That might restrict flow a bit.

Like I say, swingarm and (possibly) rear brake are more important than paint matching plastics.

I am surprised it is not written off.
Old 29-03-11, 09:30 PM   #16
Electro

You dont have to use the company that your insurers "trust"

The claim is against the other party, get your bike off the idiots that have it now and take it somewhere else mate. Your insurance co. work for you so tell them you are unhappy and the bike wasnt a repair job before and it wont be after.
Old 29-03-11, 09:40 PM   #17
orose

I'm with Chris - that exhaust damage looks like it's also bent the pillion peg on that side, so there may be damage to the subframe if you're unlucky. I was punted off from behind in a similar incident, and all the broken panels were replaced with new - but even then, I had to keep the original oil filler cap with a half-broken tab because they didn't want to write the bike off . In hindsight, I think I would have preferred it if they had done.
Old 29-03-11, 09:48 PM   #18
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
You dont have to use the company that your insurers "trust"

The claim is against the other party, get your bike off the idiots that have it now and take it somewhere else mate. Your insurance co. work for you so tell them you are unhappy and the bike wasnt a repair job before and it wont be after.
I'm also surprised that it hasn't been written off :\.

I will definitely say that tomorrow, I was planning on saying a lot more stuff too.
Old 29-03-11, 11:07 PM   #19
sauluk

What does your can sound like?

I believe tort states that you have to be put back to pre-accident position if someone is found to be entirely to blame. You should try to argue from a safety perspective, if you can think of a way it'd be unsafe to repair, they have no choice.
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-11, 11:13 PM   #20
Graciepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauluk View Post
What does your can sound like?

I believe tort states that you have to be put back to pre-accident position if someone is found to be entirely to blame.
As far as I know true
Tort law is putting things back as if nothing had ever happened and contract is making is as if the contract had been fulfilled, but that doesnt mean they have to give you a new one to replace an old one, its just putting it in the same condition, so they deem the panels as cosmetic and can just sand it down and respray, then its putting it back to as if it never happened

Last edited by Graciepants; 29-03-11 at 11:17 PM.