SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-09-14, 07:58 PM   #61
Kenzie

Default Re: Road tax and used cars-new rules

I still haven't seen much in the press about this. Not long to go now and all they have is a small break up video.

Sent from my KFTT
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 06:05 PM   #62
Kenzie

Just used the new system to tax my car. Nice and quick to use. Just gives you options to pay monthly or up front by direct debit or up front by card. Just says that you won't receive a disc. Checks MOT online but just says you need to make sure you are insured. As Bibio said earlier at the start, there is a premium if you pay monthly.

Last edited by Kenzie; 10-10-14 at 06:07 PM. Reason: More text
Old 10-10-14, 07:11 PM   #63
Bibio
Mega Poster

so what about Sundays?

ok so i'll have to insure the vehicle online or by phone but what if i want to buy my road tax at the PO with cash?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-14, 10:45 PM   #64
Spank86

I'm not understanding the problem bib?

Assuming your incapable of forward planning you can simply go to the post office on a Sunday brandishing either the cash or cheque of your choice and pay the nice lady for road tax.

Or did you want to pay cash monthly?
Old 10-10-14, 11:01 PM   #65
Bibio
Mega Poster

ermm no, what if i was buying a vehicle on a sunday via private sale. i could be wrong but the old owner cannot transfer the tax to the new owner. i think from the moment the v5 is signed the tax people refund the tax to the new owner.

or do we still get 'grace'?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 06:17 AM   #66
Kenzie

I think what Bib is getting at is that he can't tax a vehicle on a Sunday by cash because the PO would be closed. You cannot transfer the tax. Think of it as the tax relating to the owner and not the vehicle. So it needs taxing and insuring before being driven away. No grace now as far as I understand it.
Old 11-10-14, 07:49 AM   #67
Spank86

Lots of post offices open on Sunday's.
Old 11-10-14, 09:40 AM   #68
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
I think from the moment the v5 is signed the tax people refund the tax to the OLD REGISTERED KEEPER
Corrected, but I suspect it was a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLA
Selling a vehicle

From 1 October, vehicle tax is not transferable so you won’t be able to include any remaining tax when you sell a vehicle. If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full remaining months left on the vehicle tax. The refund will be sent to the keepers details on DVLA records so you need to make sure that these are correct.
Vehicle tax refunds

You will no longer need to make a separate application for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund when a notification is received from the person named on DVLA vehicle register that the:
  • vehicle has been sold or transferred
  • vehicle has been scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility
  • vehicle has been exported
  • vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 10:08 AM   #69
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If you buy a car on a Sunday and you really don't want to tax it online straight away for whatever reason, just drive the thing home (insured of course) and tax it the next day at the post office.

Nobody I've ever met is going to get their knickers in a twist if you can show them you have just bought it and that's what you are doing. There really are more important things in life.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 10:50 AM   #70
daveyrach

Not complex really, if it has tax when you drive it away you're unlikely to be caught as it can take up to 6 weeks for DVLA to refund the registered keeper anyway.

I think it a good idea stops rip off merchants saying 'oh but its taxed!'

The only extra revenue the DVLA will get is if a car is taxed mid month, the DVLA will get the tax twice for that month. For example if i sold a car now that was taxed until March I would get a refund for November, December, January, February and March but not the reminder of October, the new owner would tax it which would run from the start of October, in reality DVLA has received two lots of tax for that vehicle for October.