SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-10-14, 06:47 PM   #1
missyburd

Default Transition from two wheels to four

Hi folks!

So I successfully passed my driving test 3 weeks ago (first time yey!!). Just in time for the rotten weather. After 5 winters on a bike I've gone over to the dark side and I now have a little Skoda Fabia 1.9 diesel. Despite still not having recovered from the sting to my bank account that is first year insurance, I had my first solo drive on Monday morning after getting the car Saturday night, 30 miles to work...did 300 miles by the end of the week in the warm and dry...feels very odd indeed!

So seeing as I survived, I thought I'd start a thread to see how many other people did the bike thing first and how they found the transition to four wheels...what was it like getting back onto a bike?
Old 25-10-14, 06:54 PM   #2
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Re: Transition from two wheels to four

I'm lucky enough to have a car and a bike. I bike to work when the weather is good enough, but it is so convenient to wake up, see it raining/cold outside and jump in the car to go to work in the warm and dry. Rode in today as the weather was good and I certainly don't get that grin from driving in the car! For me it makes riding a bit more fun and special when I swing my leg over in the morning and fire her up. Makes work more enjoyable!
Old 25-10-14, 07:14 PM   #3
Geodude
Mega Poster

Well done chuck im chuffed for you still no car licence for me though 40 odd years ( yes i know i look 21 still so its hard to believe ) and still bike only and proud.. and wet and cold and aching..

What about poor lonely thump is he now fun only

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-14, 07:17 PM   #4
daveyrach

I rode a bike for 2 whole years from 16 years old. I learnt to drive when I was 18 as my partner wanted me to do some of the driving, then we got pregnant. Now I have no MC at all 😢. I like the warm and dry esp this time of year but can't stand sitting in traffic especially when it slightly drizzling and the world has to take little Johnny to school coz he can't get wet. I do massively miss the bike thought like this summer as it was my first full summer without a bike.
Old 25-10-14, 07:24 PM   #5
Phoenix22

I did the same as you & passed my bike test first and for a couple of years a bike was my sole form of transport. That was about 30 years ago tho' in the 2-stroke mayhem of the 80's. I somehow managed to survive that and did the car test a couple of years later.

It was no fun riding in winter back then, nowadays we have heated jackets & waterproofs that actually are.

Nowadays i try just to go out in the dry for pleasure. I don't mind wet but it takes hours cleaning the bike afterwards & japanese metal doesn't like getting wet. Well, possibly a Honda but they are boring!!
Old 25-10-14, 07:31 PM   #6
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post

What about poor lonely thump is he now fun only
I'm actually thinking of giving her a good clean when we have a nice sunny day, now she's not just going to get mucky the next day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyrach View Post
I like the warm and dry esp this time of year but can't stand sitting in traffic especially when it slightly drizzling and the world has to take little Johnny to school coz he can't get wet. I do massively miss the bike thought like this summer as it was my first full summer without a bike.
Yeah traffic is a bind, finding it hard to sit and be patient... My SV has worked so very hard this summer, since April I've been pushing 500 miles a week on her and she's not even faltered. She certainly deserves a cosy winter in the garage! It will be nice to bring her out for pleasure and the odd bimble to work but this time of year is no fun for me, too much diesel on the greasy roads, wet leaves, dark mornings and nights with blinding headlights...on a shorter commute maybe but not 60 miles of it a day

I can't imagine a summer without a bike now, you must be finding it very hard indeed What's the reason for not getting another, money/time?

Last edited by missyburd; 25-10-14 at 07:32 PM.
Old 25-10-14, 07:42 PM   #7
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Congratulation on passing.

I did 10 years on bikes before learning to drive a car.

The strangest thing for me was having a conversation with someone when driving. I still think its odd, but do like to ability to listen to music on the move now. Once I had the car my time on a bike dropped off massively for about 3 years, but I do more miles on the bike than the car again now. For me I was starting to not enjoy riding as much as I used to as I had to do it, but now I can choose and that means that I'm much happier riding again. Also having the car has enabled me to do more with bikes then I did before.

The insurance will hurt but give it a year or two and it will improve. Mine did even after shorting my first car after a year.

I'm used to driving a car now, but much prefer a bike. I feel much, much safer out on a bike in all weathers compared to a car. And the thing to remember is that if you're in a car, you will hit traffic. Accept it. I still think its quaint, if I want to get anywhere fast I go by bike.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-14, 08:00 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Rode my bike (cg125,cx500,CBX550, Guzzi Spada, GSX750) for probably nearly 8 or 9 years, day in day out to work before passing my test first time in 1984

Didn't get my first car until at least 1987/88 I think, when I got my first flat.

Done my time on the bike & my office is only 10mins away, so the car is easier, jump in start up and go. No getting waterproofs & crash helmets on, its too much hassle.

In the 1980's the roads were quieter than they are now, I wouldn't like to do the commute I did then.

Well done you for passing your test first time
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-14, 08:01 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Much prefer 2 wheels to 4 wheels.
Passed the car test first and bikes came afterwards.
I shouldn't be allowed to drive, as the vehicle normally ends up like this through a corner

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-14, 08:54 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

congratz. but being a woman should you not be tied to the sink....

runz and hidez. well done missy
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote