SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-04-11, 10:53 PM   #1
hongman

Default Alternative to iPhone

Before i start, please please please do not let this thread degenerate to a apple vs world debate!

Had my 3GS for ages now and since have not kept up to date with other phones. Few days ago I dropped my iPhone and smashed it. It's getting repaired but I was getting bored of it anyway. I happen to think the iPhone is rubbish as a phone but great as a mobile device for stuff like apps and emails.

My requirements are:

Must have a decent email facility which supports Exchange as much as possible. Contacts, calendar, etc. Not really bothered with POP etc.

Decent battery life compared to iPhone 3

Decent touch screen. Must be as good as iPhone.

Decent song management

Choices are iPhone 4 or a new smart phone. but which?

Most popular seem to be HTC Desire HD, Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy?

Hate samsung phones. OH has had them for last 3 phones and I hate them all, can't get along with the UI and menu system.

I'm guessing android OS is going to be a given? Have windows phones come along in the recent times?

I already know what the iPhone can and can't do so please no preaching. I just fancy a change, and I have an iPad to satisfy my apple requirements. I however do not know much about other competitive phones and features, so interested if there are any that I could possibly buy as a replacement.
Old 12-04-11, 11:04 PM   #2
Electro

Default Re: Alternative to iPhone

Just a heads up on the iphone 4.

Battery life is much better, a flash on the camera brings it back into the real world, very good screen compared with the 3GS.
I like the 4, the 3GS was just about bearable. I dont think i would have got either of them if My Holtz hadnt played with them
I stuck with Nokia for years then iphones came along. I`ve not had a modern android or wondows phone but my old xda mini is still going strong after 6 years.
Old 12-04-11, 11:19 PM   #3
sv4me
Mega Poster

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (what i'll be getting next I hope ) comes highly recommended by my mate who works in carphone warehouse

HTC Desire S is my other choice, will come down to what I can get as a free upgrade
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-11, 12:12 AM   #4
-Ralph-

As of 6.5, Windows is still ****, though I do wonder when I hear some iPhone stories, if they're actually any better. Not tried Windows Phone 7.
Old 13-04-11, 03:01 AM   #5
TC3

wait till end of June for Iphone 5 and see how they have improved that?
Old 13-04-11, 07:10 AM   #6

I have a HTC Trophy on the windows 7 Platform...

I really rate it, I have convinced 3 other people to avoid the 3Gs and go with this handset.

Its quite simple and there aren't millions of apps, but its normally a free handset on cheaper tariffs.
Old 13-04-11, 07:25 AM   #7
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3 View Post
wait till end of June for Iphone 5 and see how they have improved that?
iPhone 5 is likely to be delayed, the current thinking is announced at the autumn event for ipod touch etc and available early 2012. worth waiting to check on the june announcement though just in case all the rumours are false
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-11, 07:43 AM   #8
hindle8907
Mega Poster

andorid or ios, but dont what ever you do go os7 imo its lacks in every department compared to the opposition's.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-11, 08:48 AM   #9
custard

have galaxy s - is pretty good, traded a 3gs for it and am happy. the battery aint all that a days use will cane it.
regards text and email - have you thought about a blackberry?
Old 13-04-11, 08:50 AM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me View Post
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (what i'll be getting next I hope ) comes highly recommended by my mate who works in carphone warehouse

HTC Desire S is my other choice, will come down to what I can get as a free upgrade
The ARC is a VERY capable phone.

However I went for the Xperia Play cos I want to play Gran Turismo on my phone (well avtually Final Fantasy 7)

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote