SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Helmets Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 17-05-21, 07:55 PM   #1
svenrico

Default fibreglass helmet

Any recommendations for a quiet full face fibreglass helmet , not more than say £200.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 05:33 PM   #2
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: fibreglass helmet

The Scorpion range is good, their Exo series. usually found at Infinity Motorcycles. I've had the Ex0 1200 the past 2 years. Only changed up due to the Visor seal breaking up, and no replacement offering.

They fit similar to an HJC (apparently, i've not had one in years) & a Shoei (i've just got the GT Air 2).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-21, 05:33 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

The Scorpion range is good, their Exo series. usually found at Infinity Motorcycles. I've had the Ex0 1200 the past 2 years. Only changed up due to the Visor seal breaking up, and no replacement offering.

They fit similar to an HJC (apparently, i've not had one in years) & a Shoei (i've just got the GT Air 2).

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 08:47 AM   #4
daktulos

No recommendation from me, but if you're researching helmets, I've found https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/ to be useful.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 09:45 AM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

+1 to both of the above. I was sorely tempted by the Scorpion above but ended up with a Nolan/X-lite which is great.

I really like Schuberth too but they are ridiculously expensive. Schuberth are very quiet lids,I had one for years before my most recent.

You will find the best recommendation is ...what fits. Shoei and HJC are raved about by people (incidentally, I think HJC are ****) but they simply don't fit my bonce so it's pointless knowledge. Your best bet is to go to a physical shop that stocks a broad range and see what your headshape is.

Last edited by Dave20046; 19-05-21 at 09:48 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 07:08 PM   #6
yokohama

And once you've checked billyscrashhelmets, this is a useful next stop. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
Dave's advice is good. It's best to try various helmets on. I'm using a Scorpion Exo and it's a good fit for me. Shark and AGV are OK for my head but HJC is a complete no no. And it was Arai good and Shoei bad or vice versa, can't remember.
Plenty of places to try in North Yorkshire. Infinity York have a good range, a couple other places in York too. Teasedales in Thirsk and more options in Darlington/Teesside.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 08:33 PM   #7
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
And once you've checked billyscrashhelmets, this is a useful next stop. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
Dave's advice is good. It's best to try various helmets on. I'm using a Scorpion Exo and it's a good fit for me. Shark and AGV are OK for my head but HJC is a complete no no. And it was Arai good and Shoei bad or vice versa, can't remember.
Plenty of places to try in North Yorkshire. Infinity York have a good range, a couple other places in York too. Teasedales in Thirsk and more options in Darlington/Teesside.
Haven't been to Infinity for a while but Teasdales helmets are 'at the expensive end of the range'. I always try a helmet on but you don't know how quiet (or noisy )they are until you have ridden with them on. A flip up G mac helmet I bought is virtually useless because the wind noise is unbearable.
A helmet with a visor seal breaking up isn't much good though !
Old 19-05-21, 09:56 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Haven't been to Infinity for a while but Teasdales helmets are 'at the expensive end of the range'. I always try a helmet on but you don't know how quiet (or noisy )they are until you have ridden with them on. A flip up G mac helmet I bought is virtually useless because the wind noise is unbearable.
A helmet with a visor seal breaking up isn't much good though !
Might be worth spending a few quid more to avoid ending up with virtually useless lids kicking about?

Don't get me wrong I hate the "how much is your head worth" blackmail they use to turn on the profit tap but it might ensure better value (total cost of ownership wise). My Schuberth was £160 reduced from something stupid and it did 8 years of heavy use, at that point in time I was aggrieved having to spend more than £150 but my previous sub £100 lid had done 6 months before getting so loose it was swivelling round my face in the wind. I'd have never entertained it at £350ish RRP but so glad I bought it for a couple of reasons one of the main ones being I learned that lesson - knowing what I know now I would have paid the £350 for it. With brands that are known for quality you've a bit more reassurance.
That said, £200 isn't cheap and should get you something decent...but i've never heard of GMac so thought I'd give a bit more food for thought.

Also, flip fronts are renowned (or I know them to be) for being louder than standard lids, and more offputting for me - much heavier. Weight is my highest priority on spec - IIRC the Scorpion mentioned above was the best for weight vs money when I was looking and also had some good fitment features (blow up cheeks) I'd definitely see if you can try that one on anywhere.

Anyway ramble above aside 1) Find a brand that fits your head (even if trying on an expensive model in store it gives you an idea of the brand shape and you can find a cheaper model elsewhere 2)work out your top spec requirements (quiet?) 3)Read loads of reviews, as above
Old 20-05-21, 09:38 PM   #9
svenrico

Will do a bit of researching into helmets. I thought fibreglass would be a step up (and possibly quieter ) from my usual polycarbonate ,or whatever it is currently called, type of helmet.
Old 28-05-21, 09:42 PM   #10
svenrico

Helmets at Infinity - Scorpion Exo 510 at £150 or HJC i70 reduced from £200 to £130. I sort of like the Scorpion which has the 'seat belt' type buckle rather than the HJC double ring fastening which I am not keen on. However, the salesman seemed to point to the HJC helmet being more aerodynamic because of its narrower width and therefore potentially quieter. Not sure !