SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-07-07, 06:54 PM   #1
Biker_Billy

Default Oxford humpback panniers - seat cowl...

Hiya,

Just taken delivery of a nice set of Oxford Humpback panniers in prep for this weekends jaunt to Wales for Invasion of the Valleys. Been in't garrage for an hour trying to get them to fit - but one question is

Ive got a seat cowl - do you think it is best to remove it, and put the seat back on? Am just thinking that its not really designed to take any weight (and I'll have my tent on top of the panniers), so don't want to end up with it in bits along the M5...

Just wondering what others do....

ta,

Billy
Old 30-07-07, 06:59 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oxford humpback panniers - seat cowl...

i think the cowl would take the weight, but you should watch out that it doesn't rub all the paint off it, Suzuki have a very technical process whereby they can apply a coat of paint a mere two atoms thick...

or so it would seem
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-07, 07:04 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
i think the cowl would take the weight, but you should watch out that it doesn't rub all the paint off it, Suzuki have a very technical process whereby they can apply a coat of paint a mere two atoms thick...

or so it would seem
Thanks Wolf - know what you mean about the paint - I tried cutting a scratch out...only to find out the paint aint that thick!
Old 30-07-07, 09:05 PM   #4
carty

Hi mate, I have the same panniers and I preferred using the seat when they were on. I think the cowl would take the weight (I've seen people sitting on them although probably not recommended!). I've used the on a pointy and a curvy and the fitted better on the pointy so you should be ok. I found it best to shorten the velcro across the top so they are higher up - it allows for any slippage when you pull the bungees tight.
Old 30-07-07, 09:15 PM   #5
Biker_Billy

[quote=cartwrim;1249904]Hi mate, I have the same panniers and I preferred using the seat when they were on. I think the cowl would take the weight (I've seen people sitting on them although probably not recommended!). I've used the on a pointy and a curvy and the fitted better on the pointy so you should be ok. I found it best to shorten the velcro across the top so they are higher up - it allows for any slippage when you pull the bungees tight.[/quote

Thanks mate...I'll have a go with the cowl on...didnt want to be farting about changing the seat / cowl for the trip really...
Old 30-07-07, 09:17 PM   #6
El Saxo

Definitely put the seat back on cos the seat cowl will get scratched.

Also get something to protect the paint at either side of the rear seat where the panniers touch the bike as they'll rub the paint away there too.

I got some of that non-slip rubber matting stuff and hacked it up a bit to make it the right shape. Cheaper option is gaffer tape, as long as you don't mind cleaning the gluey stuff off afterwards
Old 30-07-07, 09:24 PM   #7
hovis

that wonder web stuff does the trick from the £1 shop or go to tescos, its cheaper
Old 31-07-07, 11:48 AM   #8
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Definitely put the seat back on cos the seat cowl will get scratched.

Also get something to protect the paint at either side of the rear seat where the panniers touch the bike as they'll rub the paint away there too.

I got some of that non-slip rubber matting stuff and hacked it up a bit to make it the right shape. Cheaper option is gaffer tape, as long as you don't mind cleaning the gluey stuff off afterwards
Yep, the cowl will get scratched, scuffed by the straps.

You don't need to faff around much changing the cowl/seat, use key, remove cowl, put on seat. No need to remove the blanking plates and refit the grabrail.
Old 31-07-07, 12:03 PM   #9
Biker_Billy

Thanks for all the replies. This I'll remove the seatcowl - I know if I dont, itll get scratched, and its only a month old!

think i'll put the seat on with the grab rail, as it would make a good place to attach the tent to.

Off to my garage then...
Old 31-07-07, 09:10 PM   #10
amnesia

I used the oxford protective matting when we ended up riding through the M5 floods last weekend.

RESULT - knackered paint on both rear panels on both my SV and the other half's Bandit. On 'dry' trips they have been fine and left no marks, but the floods kicked up a huge amount of grit it seems.
GAFFER TAPE UNDER THE MATTING FOR US EVERY TIME NOW.

I put my pillion seat back on just incase the seat cowl wasn't strong enough to take the weight of the tail pack.

With panniers only, I have used the saet cowl, and covered it with Oxford matting with no problems.