SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-10, 06:41 PM   #11
hongman

Default Re: Bike Security

Badger, ping me in 2 weeks, and we'll go from there.

Whilst in the topic, recommend me some good alarmed disk locks! And places to get them.

Ta
Old 03-07-10, 07:38 PM   #12
mustnt grumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
He reckons he could bolt cutter even the thickest of chains without making much noise. After that its lift bike up, back of a van and off they go.
I'd be worried too, your neighbour sounds like a bike thief!
Old 03-07-10, 07:59 PM   #13
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

As Badger has said, Torq Ground Anchor, Almax Chain with Squire Padlock and an Anti-Pinch Pin through the frame (in between cylinders on an SV) and that's the most you can do.

To be honest if you are out and your missus or mother in law were in and saw someone trying to get your bike I'd be telling them not to put themselves in harms way rather than confronting them, they might just invade the house and search for the keys (worst case I know but still)

Do all you can which in my opinion is the combo above and if they get your bike you know there's not much more you could have done. It's the combo I have for my Ducati and I sleep very well at night.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:21 PM   #14
hongman

Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-10, 09:31 PM   #15
Razor

ground anchor is a must, i use 2 chains through mine and a disc lock, plus my bike is alarmed
then my bike is covered and i have a wire lock through the cover ends at each wheel...
i live in a cul-de-sac and my bike is out front, plenty of housewives, retired folk and grumpy shift workers about if alarm goes off
Old 03-07-10, 11:45 PM   #16
lazymanc

Another vote for the Almax chains, Immobiliser 4 supposedly can't be cropped with hand tools, needs an angle grinder which will make a lot of noise
lazymanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:47 PM   #17
xXBADGERXx

I think the IV is actually physically too big to fit in the jaws of croppers , if I recall they are 19mm Diameter links . A gas torch will make the link melt but it runs around the bottom of the link and cools so you end up wasting gas and just deforming the chain . Eventually they will get through it but a neighbour or sleeping Dog is bound to get wind of something by then .

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 03-07-10 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-07-10, 12:37 AM   #18
metalmonkey

Best security is a banjo, a shotgun and a mean ass dog with an attitude!

A good ground anchor with expasion bolts in it, postion so that it will be hard to be attack, put the chain through the frame not a wheel! A good defense is to know your neighours too, my known what me and my bike look like.

Alarms are ok I guess but most people to tend to ingore them no matter wheter there are vehicles or buildings but may make think people otherwise I have chased someone off from when they set the alarm off on my parked 125.
Old 04-07-10, 01:22 AM   #19
hongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
Best security is a banjo, a shotgun and a mean ass dog with an attitude!
Have you got one for sale?
Old 04-07-10, 01:24 AM   #20
xXBADGERXx

Living in North London ? , he`s only a few feet away from most of the things on that list at any given moment ...... well , the Banjo would be the least common .