SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-06, 12:54 PM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Bike security

I'm currently looking at my bike security and was wondering what works, what is not so great. I know that if professionals really want your bike, the chances are they'll have it, but I'd really like to make it as difficult as possible.

I have a few questions to those who have had motorcycles stolen:

Was it garaged?
If so, what sort of lock type security did you have on it?

and general questions:

Do alarms serve their purpose or are they more for scarring off Chavs trying to sit on your bike? Would something like a tracker be better??

Any response , much appreciated,

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 01:05 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

I look at it this way: The more bits on your bike (alarm, disc lock, imobiliser, datatag etc) the better, but none of these stop someone lifting your bike into the back of a van which seems the most common method of loosing it. Prioritise a ground anchor and decent chain & lock. After that see what the budget stretches to.
Old 07-11-06, 01:09 PM   #3
Baph

Alarms are for scaring chavs (or the odd kid who thinks "oooohhh that exhaust looks shiney" after my usual 50 mile commute - burn themselves everytime!).

Trackers are no good until your bike gets stolen, then it's up to the quality of the tracking device and company to find it before it gets damaged, then the police have to recover it before it gets damaged (we all know how likely that is!)

Personally, my bike lives in a metal shed (once cooled) in the back garden, behind a good 10ft ish wall, and my house is more secure than Fort Knox (V decent alarm with perimiter sensing etc). The wall has a 6ft high wooden gate on it (that you can't see through) with high security locks on. The back garden has a line of trees high enough to stop people even looking at the shed! I've also thought about putting a ground anchor in the shed too... mainly for the event of a hurricane though.

Never had my bike stolen, have had some local kids throwing stones at it though (their parents didn't appreciate a visit from Plod )

If you don't want it stolen, put it out of sight. I'll get to work on that invisible sheeting then....
Old 07-11-06, 01:33 PM   #4
sdusk

For a bike that can be seen, a Diamond/Almax chain and ground anchor/pole/solid object is the bare minimum, otherwise your bike will just get lifted into a van. The next step up from that is a big nasty dog. Even the best chains can be cut with the diamond tipped cutting wheels used by locksmiths/the steel industry/professional thieves.
Old 07-11-06, 02:30 PM   #5
chunkytfg

www.zedzed.co.uk
Old 07-11-06, 02:57 PM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
www.zedzed.co.uk
fun site, but no obvious links of approved chains & locks.....
Old 07-11-06, 03:37 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I keep mine garaged and out of sight which is the main thing,and when out and about I use a basic chain,but park somewhere highly visible if poss.At home I also have a dog He's not big and he's not clever but he is a Jack Russell and he scares the **** out of unwanted visitors for some reason.
Old 07-11-06, 03:48 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Bike magazine this month has an article on securing your garage (not read it yet, but will let you know if it's any good).
Old 07-11-06, 04:11 PM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

There's a 55 reg R6 in my bike bay - NO alarm, no chain, no disc lock. Is he after an insurance claim, or is it fairly reasonable that he'll get away with it?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 04:17 PM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
There's a 55 reg R6 in my bike bay - NO alarm, no chain, no disc lock. Is he after an insurance claim, or is it fairly reasonable that he'll get away with it?
Shouldn't you have posted this in the For Sale section - no wait its not an SV so Idle Banter :P

R6's seem VERY popular at the moment

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote