SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-10-06, 01:42 PM   #1
Nekkid

Default Combination microwave ovens.....

Going for Random Post of the Day with this one (although, as always, there's some stiff competition!).

Having a new kitchen done and have decided we need 2 ovens. Useful for cooking roasts (meat in one, spuds in the other) or non roasts (main course in one, desert in the other). We also want a microwave.
Now, I know the new combination microwaves can be used like a normal oven, but are they actually as good as a normal oven? I'd like to be able to achieve the same results with it as I can in the main oven.
Anyone have one of these and use it without the microwaves?

Ta!
Old 05-10-06, 01:44 PM   #2
kwak zzr

my parents had one but theres no substitute for a propa oven.
Old 05-10-06, 01:52 PM   #3
Jabba

We've got one.........fantastic. Roasts a chicken in 35 mins instead of 2 hours
Old 05-10-06, 01:57 PM   #4
chazzyb

We have one too. I suspect we've never used it for anything more than warming plates (and microwaving, naturellement). When I commented on its lack of use recently, my wife said she wouldn't be without out it. :P
Old 05-10-06, 02:08 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

I've had a Panasonic combi for best part of 7 or 8 years, gets used regularly for pizza etc. as well as the usual microwave. Full marks. Useful as a small grill but it tends to mess them up quite a bit (chops etc).

Having said that if you have a small "proper" oven it would probably be more energy efficient, the combi gets fairly hot on the outside (so must lose a fair bit of heat). I guess modern ones might be a lot better efficiency, don't recall this one having an energy efficiency rating as such.

If you have space, I'd go for 2 proper ovens and a simple microwave. Combi microwave needs quite a bit of space round it (due to getting hot).
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 02:25 PM   #6
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
I've had a Panasonic combi for best part of 7 or 8 years, gets used regularly for pizza etc. as well as the usual microwave. Full marks. Useful as a small grill but it tends to mess them up quite a bit (chops etc).

Having said that if you have a small "proper" oven it would probably be more energy efficient, the combi gets fairly hot on the outside (so must lose a fair bit of heat). I guess modern ones might be a lot better efficiency, don't recall this one having an energy efficiency rating as such.

If you have space, I'd go for 2 proper ovens and a simple microwave. Combi microwave needs quite a bit of space round it (due to getting hot).
Or go for combi and cut down on your heating bill.
Old 05-10-06, 02:37 PM   #7
Stormspiel

We've got one....makes great cheese on toast thats about all it gets used for. Oh and grilling fish cos 'it makes the oven stink'
Old 05-10-06, 03:01 PM   #8
Mr Toad

We've got one - a Sharp something or other
Does ordinary fan oven as well as 900w microwave
The oven is almost as good as a real one - I suspect that it would be just as good if we ever got round to letting it warm up properly before bunging in the food. When used in the combination mode it's very quick - esp for baked potatoes
You just have to make sure you hit the right buttons - Mrs Toad went to warm up a baked spud, hit the wrong button, reduced the thing to a lump of charcoal and filled the kitchen with smoke . . . at least the smoke alarms work OK
Old 05-10-06, 05:48 PM   #9
Well Oiled

We had a panasonic and it was great - pre programmed menus for pizza and baked potatoes were spot on, just enter the weight, hit the button and come back to a perfectly cooked pizza / potato.

The microwave part of it went bust after 4 years and we got a cheaper one - half the price but not half as good.

Cheers Keith
Old 05-10-06, 07:16 PM   #10
Nekkid

Thanks all, didn't think I'd get so many replies!
Been having abit of a trawl around and discovered that, although normal combi microwaves are quite cheap, the fitted ones are well expensive. For the same money as a built in oven and Combi microwave, I can get a double built in oven and a standalon microwave. Maybe that would be better.......

Decisions decisions..