SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-07, 10:08 PM   #1
Mossy

Default headset microphone

need your help guys, specially those of you who are electronically minded!

recently got one of those cheap intercom sets from lidl, 5 quid for the little crossover box and 2 headsets.

now ive got some decent walkie talkies with vox on them and the headsets actually work with them with vox on BUT the microphones are WAY too sensitive and just pick up road, wind and engine noise and dont shut off (both ppl cant talk at same time) i was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how to make the microphone slightly desensitised. ive tried lowering the sensitivity on the walkie talkie to the lowest to no avail.

any help would be greatly recieved! cheers!

Mossy
Old 13-03-07, 10:18 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: headset microphone

get one of the microphones that pick up the vibration of your throat.
Old 13-03-07, 10:22 PM   #3
Mossy

errrm how much would that set me back, i knw i sound like a skin flint...well yeah i am, im a student i have to be lol, but im lookin for least expenditure possible kinda thing

modifying the ones i already have would be the best for me.

cheers for quick rep tho
Old 13-03-07, 10:23 PM   #4
rob13

Mossy - buy an autocom theyre brilliant

Sorry but it seems like youve done the one thing that would help. The only other thing i could think of would be to try and stick something else over the mic to cut some of the background noise out but thats also going to affect anything else you try to transmit
Old 13-03-07, 10:33 PM   #5
Mossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Mossy - buy an autocom theyre brilliant

Sorry but it seems like youve done the one thing that would help. The only other thing i could think of would be to try and stick something else over the mic to cut some of the background noise out but thats also going to affect anything else you try to transmit
deffo way too far on the pricey side sadly robchester, thnx for the advice tho.

like i say it already kinda works its just way to sensitiveive tried puttin a few things round it already lol, includin selotape, tissue paper, tissuepaper and selotape, blue tack, any other ideas would be greatly recieved tho!
Old 13-03-07, 10:57 PM   #6
rob13

Ok what about a chin curtain for your lid? I dunno if this would help but would surely reduce the outside noise from the base of the helmet
Old 13-03-07, 11:15 PM   #7
Mossy

hmm not a bad idea, where would i get one of them from?

dyu know if i could do somethin electronic 2 them, like add a resistor or somethin to reduce the power goin to/from it?
Old 13-03-07, 11:19 PM   #8
rob13

Well i aint too good with electronics, used to be ok but forgotten a lot of it. Someone else will be along soon to give you the info if its available

Chin curtains available here http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk...l.asp?prod=HSK
Old 14-03-07, 07:19 PM   #9
Heed

A chin curtain and a foggy would cut down on a lot of wind noise around the mic.
Old 14-03-07, 07:49 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
need your help guys, specially those of you who are electronically minded!

recently got one of those cheap intercom sets from lidl, 5 quid for the little crossover box and 2 headsets.

now ive got some decent walkie talkies with vox on them and the headsets actually work with them with vox on BUT the microphones are WAY too sensitive and just pick up road, wind and engine noise and dont shut off (both ppl cant talk at same time) i was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how to make the microphone slightly desensitised. ive tried lowering the sensitivity on the walkie talkie to the lowest to no avail.

any help would be greatly recieved! cheers!

Mossy
Electronically minded you say? Well...

My personal preference would be to make a 3.5mm stereo cable with inline volume control

Nip down to your nearest Maplin. Shopping list:
2x HF98G - £1.09 ea
2x RF51F - £1.09 ea
1x XS39N - £3.79 (personal preference, easiest to work with IMO)
2x UH09K - £0.31 ea
1x BF88V - £1.69
If you don't have them, soldering iron & a little solder.

1) Take the 3.5mm sockets apart, cut a couple of 2cm strips of heat shrink, feed these over the cable. Split the cable & strip it back. Solder one wire to each "pin" on the socket (after passing the cable through the boots). Move the heat shrink so that it covers the small gap at the bottom of the socket boot. Heat GENTLY to get it to shrink (this type also sticks in place, which is useful).

2) Cut ONE of the wires a few cm (length to taste) from the heat shrink that you just shrunk using heat. Strip it back, and get another piece of 2cm long heat shrink loose over this. Solder the wire to the middle terminal on the potentiometer. Marry up the heat shrink, and heat GENTLY.

3) The other bit of wire that's already been cut at the same place, gets soldered as per #2 to one of the other pins on the pot. It really doesn't matter what. You might want to wrap these 2 in insulation tape & apply silicon glue to bond it nice & tight (and water proof).

4) Same as #1, but applies to the 3.5mm jacks instead of sockets. The length to suit.

Heypresto, you have two 3.5mm extension leads with in-line volume controls. You can add some fancy knobs if you like, personal choice, but it might make twiddling easier whilst riding the bike. Plug these cables in somewhere between the mic & the radio, for £10.46 (plus a few bits & pieces you might not have).