SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-04-19, 04:15 AM   #111
Othen

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Another excellent article, well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20-05-19, 12:48 AM   #112
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I've decided to start with the what looks like to be a simple part but with some interesting features, the gear change bracket.

The bracket is in simple terms a triangle, with a couple of external radii, and an internal triangle relief that makes the heel guard. The heel guard should be the most difficult part to mill.

I started with the plate stock in the vice and milling an edge along one of the vertical sides to start my measurements from. With the plate now horizontal in the vice on parallels I could start the drilling operations. Using an edge finder I picked up on the edge I milled and worked from there picking a suitable staring point. I had to use the milled edge and edge finder as there isn't much excess in the stock. Now picking a new origin on the plate I drilled the first hole, first using a centre drill and then a 5mm drill bit. Systematically I worked along the piece drilling the holes taking measurements from the Fusion360 drawings.

With the drilling complete I changed out the vice to the rotary table. Centring the table on the first mount and using the milled edge as my zero I began the milling. To protect the surface of the table I'm using some plastic sheet that we had in the workshop, this might not be the correct thing to do, and it did present some challenges in setting up but its worked so far. Josh (the other one) helped me a lot with this and as it was the first time we were using the rotary table it was also a learning experience for both of us.

The outside of the bracket was done first, the long lines and then rounding the corners first before the heel guard and then milling out the hole in the heel guard. As the first attempt I think its worked quite well. This was completed over a couple of nights and having Josh (and Josh) to assist along with the fusion sketch was invaluable. When I think about it the time taken actually cutting metal wasn't that great, most of the time was spent setting up.

Now with more practice I'm sure I can get time down to set up but still some of it can take time. As an example a 3 minute cut can take 30 plus minutes to setup, changing the tool and tool holder, clamping the work piece, clocking in the work piece, changing the tool and tool holder, then dummy running the cut path before finally firing up the mill.

I'm quite pleased with this as the first part I've made, however its not finished yet, I have to embiggen the mounting holes and counterbore them but this will come later as I have a gear leaver to make next.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 07:06 AM   #113
garynortheast
Mega Poster

That's a very neat looking fabrication there SH. Good work!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 05:59 PM   #114
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

This thread is still fascinating for a numpty like me who has no idea on milling or manufacturing parts in this way beyond a junior hacksaw... Keep it coming SH!
Old 23-05-19, 12:29 AM   #115
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Back on the mill to start work on the gear leaver. I'm using slightly thinner material for the leaver then on the bracket. This is just the main body of the lever, the toe peg I have other ideas for and will need the lathe for that. As a side update progress has been made on the lathe but there is still a long list of works that need to be completed there before its operational.

So it was the same plan as the bracket, that is to start with some plate, mill a flat surface on one edge to act as a datum and then drill the holes for the mounting points. And this is where fun with Fusion360 started. As we based the original templates on a scanned image the orientation of the lever was as it was scanned. This would result in me needing to make a 3.2 degree cut as a first operation, but if I rotated the lever then I could just use the flat edge. So I did.

With the holes drilled I could do the main outer radius. This was intended to be a simple operation of taking the 0 at 12 o'clock and then rotating the table to the correct degrees as per the angles from drawing. So I did that. Unfortunately the outcome was not as I was expecting. It appeared that I was shallow in the angle of the cut. But no matter how many times I ran the math I got the same answer.

Thankfully this did mean I could take another cut so taking an educated guess I flipped the result from the 90 degree and sure enough I got the correct angle. Voodoo, simply voodoo.

There is probably a simple explanation to this that someone who knows what they are doing will just look at and go "yep", but I'm not at that level yet. More time on the machines and more practice will help. And reading that explanation back I can understand why it won't make any sense to the casual reader, but don't worry it doesn't make any sense to me and I was driving the machine.

Now from a tooling point of view you need to remember your offsets. Take a 0 from an edge and then add the radius of the tool to know how far out you need to be. I take a rough cut about 0.5mm from the edge that I want over about 3 or 4 passes to clear the depth of the material and then go in for a final pass. This works for both internal and external radius.

For an internal radius the diameter of the end mill then becomes a consideration for me. For example there is an internal radius that is 5mm so I use a 10mm end mill. That way I can find my 0 at the point of rotation and know that so long as I work from there as a pivot I wont go into the material. There is probably a better explanation to all of this but its sort of how its working in my mind.

But after a couple of hours, I have a gear lever that goes with my gear change hanger. Next job is on the other side of the bike.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 20-10-19, 02:21 AM   #116
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Well its been a little while since the last update, but I have been busy I promise. It turns out this machining malarkey takes some time. Most of the time is spent setting up, clocking the table in, clamping the part, clocking the part in, finding the right angle (mainly magic), finding the edge, calculating the offset for error, rehearsing the cut, checking and double checking. The actual cut is very quick compared to all of that.

But each time I do something I think I get a little better at it improving the finish and my technique. I was chatting with one of the guys who actually does this sort of thing for a living and the feedback I got was very positive along the lines of a lot of the things I'm doing isn't in the beginners manual and the results are good. Now they are not perfect don't get me wrong and this is something I've been thinking about. I have the Fusion360 files and I could just send them off to a machine shop and get back something perfect, but then I'm not learning anything. I'm enjoying the whole process so I'm going to keep with my attempts. And I've made a few attempts which might explain the delay, you see I originally bought a little more stock then was strictly necessary so I could give myself multiple goes and so I simply worked my way through all of it.

Some are better than others but I've got at least one set I'm happy with. At a rough count there is some 200 odd hours of effort in that picture and there is still work to be done on these parts, some counterboring and features to add but hopefully the bulk of the work is done.

Next the pegs. Now I did have a solution to them, but then, well I've had an idea. Best get that lathe in action...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 20-10-19, 08:09 AM   #117
Seeker
Mega Poster

I'm assuming you have to sign up to photobucket to see the non-blurry images. It seems a strange policy for a site that is intended for you to share images - yes, you can share them but not everyone can see them. On the other hand my metal working skills would look good if displayed using this system. (no, they wouldn't)
Old 20-10-19, 08:18 AM   #118
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

This is one of the reasons I moved to using Imgur as Photobucket just became and Advertising site IMNSHO.

https://imgur.com

There is a Hot link fix for Chrome based Browsers but doesn't always work

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensio...t-hotlink-fix/
Old 20-10-19, 10:03 PM   #119
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Yeah the photobucket question is one that I've thought about. The problem is all my other stuff is there. I use a browser plugin on Chrome, not had any issues with it so recommend that.

In short there are 4 sets of levers and hangers there in the picture. I start work on the pegs this week.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 21-10-19, 04:02 PM   #120
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'm using the Avast Secure Browser which is Chrome based, and adding the extension means I can see your pictures perfectly SH. And good work on the machining too!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote