SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-02-13, 11:24 PM   #1
Joe Marcon

Default Info on dole/dla, to live in my bros rented house ? Info please

Im on sick atm with the dole . And im going to go for DLA(disabilty living allownace)
My brother has a house and hes renting atm but will dla or dole pay for me to live there ? Its a 2 bedroom house, do they just pay for flats ? Or houses aswell? My girlfriend will come live with me if i can move in june/july time .will i be able to . I'll be ill for 1-2 years, then i can start work and pay . He wants £400 to pay morgage ? Any ideas anyone .? Not sure what to type in google . Thanks
Old 17-02-13, 11:46 PM   #2
joshwalker094
Mega Poster

Default Re: Info on dole/dla, to live in my bros rented house ? Info please

I know they've tightened up on it over the last few years. In pretty sure they won't pay out though if your renting from a family member
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
Josh Walker sounds quite an epic name to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
JOSH WALKERRRRRRRRRRRR

joshwalker094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 12:25 AM   #3
Joe Marcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwalker094 View Post
I know they've tightened up on it over the last few years. In pretty sure they won't pay out though if your renting from a family member
I thought that tbh. If not i'll pay it. But tell dole im living in a house and that and probs help maybe
Old 18-02-13, 07:21 AM   #4
daveyrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwalker094 View Post
Not strictly true. It depends on your local authority as we rent from my mother in law and we made that clear when claiming. What your thinking of is housing benefit not DLA. DLA is to help with mobility and care payments, we get it fir my son who is autistic and deaf so it pays for his restbite care.

Housing benefit on the other hand is paid depending on your income and LHA (Local Housing Allowance) if it just u or just you and your girlfriend u would only get she going rate for a 1 bedroom house/flat, that is depending on what your gf earns. If your under 25 the local authority will only pay for a room in a bedsit.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 18-02-13, 07:36 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Joe, I think the key here is to enforce the fact that you are ill and ensure you get the added benefits to which you should be entitled. From memory of a press report I read some weeks ago, I think at your age the housing benefit entitlement would be based on the cost of a room in a shared house.

You are going to have to bang the drum loud that you also need room for a carer when appropriate. When my missus was going through her cancer treatment and unable to work as a result she received full DLA as the chemo made her unable to walk more than a few steps etc.

People assume just because you are young you cannot be ill. Best I ever saw was a guy about 25 being shouted at by a pensioner as he parked in a disabled spot. "You are not disabled!" At which point he rolled up his trouser leg sufficient to show a prosthetic and said something like "Tell that to my leg, if you can find it."

Get well Joe and demand your rights in the meantime.

Last edited by timwilky; 18-02-13 at 07:39 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 10:01 AM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

You will be renting a room, will you not? Or is it you are renting the whole house from your brother?
You need the forms from your local council. However usually when claiming any benefit you receive them in the package of forms.
Caution: a lot of hoo harr about spare rooms in the press recently, and people on benefits bring charged for rooms the government don't think they need.

Go to your local disabilities support charity to get proper advice. We have one here called DART.

My cousin has just been through her third and final chemo dose in December after having a double mastectomy late last year. She will be going back to work next month, as she's a determined soul. She could have taken three years off, but thought what's the point in that?

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 18-02-13 at 10:04 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-13, 10:21 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Go to your local disabilities support charity to get proper advice. We have one here called DART.

My cousin has just been through her third and final chemo dose in December after having a double mastectomy late last year. She will be going back to work next month, as she's a determined soul. She could have taken three years off, but thought what's the point in that?
I know this is heading off topic. But to Dizzy, I can only say your cousin sounds a very brave and determined lady. It took Lynne near on a year to get things to the point where she could think about returning. But that was with 10 chemo sessions and months of radio therapy. Even now she still has residual nerve damage particularly in her feet.

A Neighbour (poor sod died a few weeks past) did knock on our door also suffering from nerve damage to his feet asking for advise on how she was coping and any lessons he could take from her. From discussion mobility can be a major issue post chemo.
Old 18-02-13, 10:54 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Tim, me and my cousin have never been close, probably as we are both quite headstrong. I've seen her walk every day past my house to school, I say walk....more like march!! Only on the chemo times have I not seen her.
. She lives two streets away. When I do get chance to say hello we have a good natter. I have nothing but admiration for her.
Her words when I first found out she had cancer and my concerns of her going to the most extreme (she didn't need the double) was she wasn't going to give it the remotest chance of spreading. You can't argue with that.
She has three girls, she has to be strong. We have a history of female orientated cancers in our family, all of those faced with it the same strength. She shows example by being very determined. She's 42.

In fairness, unless I knew, I wouldn't know from seeing her that she'd had it. I know she wears a wig since early on. It wasn't until last week I noticed her eyelashes weren't there. She seriously acts like nothing has happened. Nobody would be any the wiser unless they really stared at her face. Or actually asked her.

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 18-02-13 at 11:00 AM.
Old 18-02-13, 12:02 PM   #9
Joe Marcon

I would be wanting to rent the whole house, ive not goke on dla even tho i was diagnosed in may. Probally lost abit of money. But im just wanting to live at my bro rented house .
Old 18-02-13, 12:20 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I would assume, the DLA will question as to why you would want to claim it now and not previously.

Housing benefit goes on your earnings and is totally different. You can claim it without having the above as long as you have proof of lack of earnings.
As I said previously, go find your local DART, and get the correct advice and help you need. They also help you fill in the pita forms.