SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-11-04, 05:28 PM   #1
Sledgehammer

Default The Best Back Protector.!!.

Well i have decided to get a Back Protector for a xmas present and i am looking for advice on a good one.

must have these included

Ease of use (only really go to work and back on bike)
Cost. only got around £50 (but could chip in if needed)

must be one that is worn seperate to jacket as my jacket doesnt have anywhere to put it in..

I have seen some and they look rather bulky (i know what your going to say "they are designed to cover your back they will be bulky" but some dont look as bad as others..

So what advice can you all give me??

Old 22-11-04, 06:21 PM   #2
embee
Mega Poster

Same here.

I chatted to a really helpful chap on the Knox stand at the NEC show, and for general day to day use he recommended the Knox Stowaway. He measured me and sorted the size, got me to sit in bike positions and checked the fit......and it's the cheapest in their range!

It's had great reviews from MCN etc. At £60ish it's one of the few in the right price range. Comes with a bag to "stow it away".

Significant tip was that a new version is due out in Feb with improved lining and straps.

If you do want to spend more the Knox Ricochet is probably as good as any for road use. Make sure you get the right size for you and the bike type (sit-up/sports/cruiser etc)
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-04, 07:14 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

The Stowaway's brilliant, no side protection and less impact protection than, say, the Ricochet or the Dainese one, but the tradeoff is better comfort, cheaper, and since it's so compact and easily folded up, you'll actually wear it. A rigid one would have been a waste of money for me, since I'd never bother to wear it except when just going for a ride.

Some people have problems with the Stowaway's strap system, so try before you buy, but I wouldn't go without mine now.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-04, 06:56 AM   #4
MavUK

I use a Dianese back protector - about 100 euros here in Holland. Doesn't get in the way when riding, and is flat enough to store with no trouble.

It's got padding down the back, honeycomb aluminium for impact absobtion and then the hard outer casing.

It clicps around your waist and tucks into your trousers to cover the whole of your back.

Stu
Old 23-11-04, 08:21 AM   #5
kinesin

I've just got a knox Stowaway (It was a June birthday gift! ) Fit is very good, it rolls up small, comes with it's storage bag and it looks good too!

I like it! - Decided on the stowaway after reading a few of the threads on here post some of the summers big accidents.
Old 23-11-04, 10:18 AM   #6
Nick762

I did get myself a Dianese protector first, I can't remember the model but it was the one with the waist belt only, not the shoulder straps. It also had a hard shell. It was recommended by the shop over some of the more elaborate kit as I'm not into track days but to be honest I was never comfortable with the fact that it did not cover my shoulder blades. I replaced it with a Knox Stowaway and I don't know if it is just psychological but the Knox covers pretty much my whole back and feels safer.
Old 23-11-04, 12:38 PM   #7
benHallowes

i use a Hein Gericke Prot'Xu vest

comfortable, a bargain and kept my back protected in a spill...
Old 23-11-04, 01:39 PM   #8
BaggaZee

That's that answered then.
What about decent armour to replace the 'comfort padding' in the back of a jacket?
Is this an option or is a seperate one the only decent solution? The thought of having yet another bit of kit to lug about when off the bike is depressing, rolled up or not!
Old 23-11-04, 06:56 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Knox sell a back insert, but whether it'll fit or not is anyone's guess. HG do a Hiprotec insert as well, but it's a bit wee.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-04, 10:19 AM   #10
Nick762

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
That's that answered then.
What about decent armour to replace the 'comfort padding' in the back of a jacket?
Is this an option or is a seperate one the only decent solution? The thought of having yet another bit of kit to lug about when off the bike is depressing, rolled up or not!
The impression I've always been given is that integral back protectors are not worth using and a separate one is a much better option. I don't know if this extends to high end racing leathers but certainly at what I'd call the comfort end of the market i.e. fabric jackets which are looser fitting, it makes sense to have armour which won't move around.