SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-10-07, 02:39 PM   #1
Alpinestarhero

Default Research proposals

Does anyone know anything about writing them? I have to do a two-page one for my final year project. I've written two, but dont know which one (if either) is best...

Matt
Old 03-10-07, 02:42 PM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: Research proposals

1st one.
Old 03-10-07, 02:43 PM   #3
skidmarx

So what are they about then? I'm writing one at the moment, and bottom line seems to be either from which one are you going to learn the most, or which one is going to add to the body of knowledge under study the most.
So what are your ideas and maybe we could vote
Old 03-10-07, 03:28 PM   #4
Ed

I contributed to wifey's for a PhD. We did a brief introduction to the issues, ie existing position and existing research, what we perceived the issues to be, a nutshell of what new research could be done, how it would be done, and what it aimed to show. What is will contribute to existing knowledge, and crucially why you are well placed to do it and have you got the commitment to undertake it and finish it in the time.
Old 03-10-07, 04:08 PM   #5
Ceri JC

Yes, I've only done 3, but the lecturers have always said they were good.

As Ed says show the existing POVs on the matter, talk briefly about existing research, explain what your new research adds to the body of knowledge on the matter and how you will achieve this (briefly detail any propsed experiments). It doesn't harm to explain why you have an interest in the area, any experience you have that might be pertinent, how you'd love to go on to have a career in this field, etc.

If you get really stuck, PM me and I'll give you my email addy to send them to me.
Old 04-10-07, 08:10 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Thanks guys, I have done most of that except put in something about current research. I'll put in a breif paragraph, i still have some space (two pages isnt really enough)

Matt
Old 04-10-07, 08:42 AM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Thanks guys, I have done most of that except put in something about current research. I'll put in a breif paragraph, i still have some space (two pages isnt really enough)

Matt
And neither will be 100,000 words be long enough!!!

You must develop an economical style and make every word count. Get rid of passives. Don't be afraid to start sentences with present participles, they introduce ideas effectively and economically. eg, 'He was glowing with pride and rode off into the sunset' (11 words) becomes 'Glowing with pride, he rode off into the sunset' (9 words) - yes it's only 2 words but multiply it by however many sentences will be in your research and it makes a big difference.

Oh and you'll know what I mean when I say do be sure to use the spellchecker.
Old 04-10-07, 08:56 AM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Thanks Ed, i'm having to do such economic writing now - its going over 2 pages

Yes, I'll use the spell checker

And just incase you all wonder what the research is, its my final year chemistry project - modification of a polycarbonate surface to change its wetting properties, so either very hydrophilic (water atractive) or hydrophobic (water repellant). Reason? to make a coating that I can stick on a visor, so I can get better vision while riding in the rain

Might not actualy be any good for visors, but the research could still have applications in other places

Might not work at all cos im crap in the lab

Matt
Old 04-10-07, 09:48 AM   #9
Mousetrapper

Been a while since I had to write one, but if you are trying to get money for it then try to link it to the flavour of the month, i.e. will help reduce global warming, use of stem cells to cure X,Y,Z etc.

Not really sure how a hydrophobic coating would work on either of these though!
(Actually if you coated the outside of solar panels a hydrophobic coating could stop them getting so dirty - let more light through etc.)
Old 04-10-07, 10:04 AM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrapper View Post
Been a while since I had to write one, but if you are trying to get money for it then try to link it to the flavour of the month, i.e. will help reduce global warming, use of stem cells to cure X,Y,Z etc.

Not really sure how a hydrophobic coating would work on either of these though!
(Actually if you coated the outside of solar panels a hydrophobic coating could stop them getting so dirty - let more light through etc.)
Theres something I didnt consider...

The idea for my project is that if water can clear off the visor (hydrophobic) easily, then the rider can see. If its hydrophilic, then a thin film can form, although I can see that the problem with a hydrophilic coat is that each new drop that merges on the water film causes distortion...

Matt