SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 26-01-05, 02:01 PM   #1

Default Should I ?? TL 1000 s

Ok so some of you will have read the post in iddle banter, but i met some of you so you might be more suted to answering,

I have the option to change to a TL, ok so a monster of a bike, but i wreckon physicaly i can handle it, and im getting some advanced training to go with it!

I need to change as the sv is uncomfortable, due to my height and size!

i cant go bigger withoug going trailee or bigger cc, and i want to stay v twin?

Do you think i should?

image here

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD...a?id=142893179

its an old ins write off in need of some inor touch up on the paint, there giving me a stonking deal on the sv as mines an original cat c supplied by them fully repaired.

thoughts and comments very much welcome.
Insurance is acceptable at £700 tpft at 19!!

Cheers All
Alex
Old 26-01-05, 02:12 PM   #2
Amanda M

Hiya,
Well, having just gone from the SV to a bike with a TL engine in it you'll notice a big difference. The TL is fuel injected and the throttle response is instant which takes a bit of getting used to! It's a cracking engine though. The physical size might suit you more than the SV - I couldn't get a TL because they're way too big for me, hence the raptor!

As for buying a cat C write off... Do you know anyone who knows bikes very well to go and have a look at it with you? They might spot something you don't and will be looking at it with their head not their heart if you know what I mean.

Good luck if you do get it Let us know how you get on

HTH

Amanda
Old 26-01-05, 02:17 PM   #3

Hiya,
Glad to hear u and the raptor are getting on well!!

My uncle is a bike fan, i wonder if he is busy at the weekend, ill pop over to see it if im lucky.

My current bike is a cat C, so i know the usual story, plastic welds, possible bent mirror hangers etc etc, so will check this all out.

Do need a bigger bike if im going to ride a lot this year!!

Thanks
Alex
Old 26-01-05, 02:17 PM   #4
ophic
Mega Poster

as far as handling it is concerned, i doubt it will bite you if you take it easy. Fast bikes don't have to be ridden fast.

Other v-twin options are something like a honda firestorm?

Amanda's advice is sound - get it checked over thoroughly before commiting yourself.
Old 28-01-05, 09:05 PM   #5

bike isnt a write off and im going to test ride it tommorrow if the weather holds, or monday if it doesnt!!

Woopee, now must control right hand!!
Wish me luck

Alex
Old 29-01-05, 12:00 AM   #6
Jelster

When I got my Falco the first thing I learned was to give the bike respect, especially this time of year. The TL is infamous for it's poor handling under certain situations, but I'd still love to ride one

Take it easy, learn the bike before taking any chances.

Old 29-01-05, 10:25 AM   #7
FUBAR

Default ...........

They dont call them the " WIDOWMAKERS" for nothing..........seriously brutish bike, forwarned is forarmed.........RESPECT is required, as the man above said......
Old 29-01-05, 10:59 AM   #8
Cloggsy

Looks a crackin' bike, in the best colour

By the look of the size of those end-cans I bet it'll be noisier than a stampede in a thunderstorm
Old 30-01-05, 01:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
Looks a crackin' bike, in the best colour

By the look of the size of those end-cans I bet it'll be noisier than a stampede in a thunderstorm
Thats the hope,
My ins company will cover me to ride it home but thats all, then ill have to change them!

Well today is sunday, i called the yest morning as the weather was ok here, but was raining in whitlsea! so i gave it a miss,

Today is sunday, good weather, still damp in places but mainly dry, called them - yes youcan come over but you cant ride it because we have discover a water leak!!!!!!! DOH DOH DOH,

well have it ready for wednesday, " but ive taken monday off short notice to go and test ride it" oh ok, one minute, we can have it test ride worthy but u cant take it away tommorrow"

DOH DOH DOH!! well at lest the gasket will be done b 4 i get it (if i do)

so heres hoping the weather is gonna b ok tommorrow,

oh then went to tax the sv online so i can take it out " sorry but we cant locate ut MOT certificate" grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

well here to sum more polishing, getting it ready for inspection!!
On a more serious note, i am gonna take it very easy and learn what i can do with it, and not give it a chance to show me who's boss.
Apparrently a lot of the handling woes are unfounded and have bee sexed up, but ill find out soon enough!!

All the best
Alex
Old 31-01-05, 08:58 AM   #10
Amanda M

Good luck with it! Let us know how you get on!