SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-07-20, 02:48 PM   #61
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: 110 miles on MT09SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I can't believe you said that, it is always a good idea to keep away from potholes even in a car, but on a bike it is even more important... ( unless it is an off-road bike ).

yes but with proper suspension set up for road use you dont have to worry about it. so what do you do when you see a pothole mid corner........ answers on a postcard.

who gives a fuk about cars. its a box with wheels that gets you from a to b
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 02:49 PM   #62
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
therein lies another problem. The local tuning/suspension place is telling me he is having difficulty in finding springs for my weight for the forks. I find this hard to believe so I've emailed a dedicated suspension agent to see if he knows if they are available.
I think the problem is not that the springs are not available - it's that nobody (yet contacted) is sure what size springs are in the fork.

I have also emailed the KYB UK office to see if they offer softer springs - I don't know which KYB fork model is fitted to the bike, it may be unique to Yamaha although that sounds unlikely.

The 600 mile service is scheduled for mid August and I'm ramping up the miles as quickly as possible so I can go back to riding the SV. Riding the Yam is not a pleasant experience. I've now done 320 miles and on the last 2 tankfuls 60mpg which surprised me since I'm giving it varying loads.
give the bike back... you obviously dont like it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 03:10 PM   #63
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
give the bike back... you obviously dont like it.
bearing in mind the only reason I bought this bike was the ability to adjust it to give a comfortable ride and that is the only thing I haven't been able to do, no I don't like it at the moment.
I am willing to spend a bit of effort (and a little bit more money) to see if that's achievable. Currently no one knows if springs are available, K-Tech say that the standard MT09 and the SP take the same size spring but K-Tech only do linear springs and no one else says that the springs match. HyperPro in NL are investigating to see if their progressive springs fit.
If it isn't possible to correct the harsh ride then I'll need to trade it but if that situation occurs I have no idea what I'd get. Maybe a comfortable, smooth ride quality is not attainable for a lightweight person from a stock bike.
Old 27-07-20, 04:31 PM   #64
yokohama

Search by FZ09, the Murican name for the bike. There seems to be lots more aftermarket products available over there such as https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/...rk-spring-kit/

If you decide to persist with the bike, you could always buy an aftermarket rear with the correct spring for your weight. Selling the Ohlins from the SP would probably cover the cost. A bit of a pain but ....
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 04:51 PM   #65
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
...... so what do you do when you see a pothole mid corner........ answers on a postcard.
Personally I ride around it, what do you do?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 05:12 PM   #66
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Search by FZ09, the Murican name for the bike. There seems to be lots more aftermarket products available over there such as https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/...rk-spring-kit/

If you decide to persist with the bike, you could always buy an aftermarket rear with the correct spring for your weight. Selling the Ohlins from the SP would probably cover the cost. A bit of a pain but ....

The forum name is still FZ-09 but the bike is now sold in the US as the MT-09 and they didn't make an FZ09SP. The link you included shows springs for the standard bike and that's the problem I alluded to earlier - trying to discover if the springs are interchangeable. Standard MT09 springs are available here in the UK.

I may be wrong but the Ohlins seems ok - I can, with little effort, persuade the rear suspension to compress but the front feels solid, unyielding (I even stood on a box to give more leverage when pressing down )
Old 27-07-20, 06:44 PM   #67
yokohama

Have you emailed Yamaha customer service? Give them some grief about it and how their fully adjustable suspension bike isn't quite how it's marketed. If it isn't adjustable for lighter riders, then technically, they've sold you something that isn't fit for purpose. You never know, they might get involved or encourage the dealer to sort it out.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 07:30 PM   #68
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Have you emailed Yamaha customer service?

yes, but for tech support, see post #60. (spoiler: they didn't help)

...but playing my own devil's advocate - they say it is fully adjustable and it is, they don't guarantee it will be adjustable to suit your weight. I was lurking on the FZ09 forum and there was someone saying he weighed 300lbs and found the suspension a but soft, several others chimed in with weights in the 240-260lb range, that's almost twice my weight and 300lb is well over twice.

My hopes rest on ReactiveSuspension being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as soon as I can get it booked in.
Old 27-07-20, 07:34 PM   #69
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Have you emailed Yamaha customer service? Give them some grief about it and how their fully adjustable suspension bike isn't quite how it's marketed. If it isn't adjustable for lighter riders, then technically, they've sold you something that isn't fit for purpose. You never know, they might get involved or encourage the dealer to sort it out.
Most bikes have an avg rider weight they're suited for. Even with adjustable suspension you can't make it perfect for everyone. I'd guess most mfr's set it up for the avg rider weight, which is probably 70-80kg for most the world, and about 200kg for the Americas
So the OP is not far off, but being at the lighter end of the scale is worse as he'll be sat in the pre-load area of suspension rather than maxing out the damping & rebound. It'll make for a bouncy ride

Load a car up to the max (within mfr spec) with people and luggage, and it won't handle as well as it does with one person . . . can't complain to the mfr about that

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 08:04 PM   #70
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Seeker, have you tried dropping your tyre pressures yet and if so how did it change things?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote