SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-08-08, 07:22 PM   #1
Wayluya

Default Small scuffs / marks on fairing - can T-Cut out?

I have a few small scuffs / marks on my fairing lower top half. Most of which yer would need good eyesight to see. But I know they are there.......

Plan A is to leave alone.

Plan B is to use T-Cut (or similar) to polish them out. But am not sure if the (Black) Fairing is solid colour. I suspect so, but......... and whether I would be able to get a shine on the bit I had T-cut back, rather than leaving a matt black splodge!

I know plenty of folk on here with experiance of "tidying up" after an off..............
Old 06-08-08, 07:36 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Small scuffs / marks on fairing - can T-Cut out?

T- Cut and then go over with a really good wax polish should see you right.

I've found the Auto Glymn Paint Rennovator is also very good for getting out small scratches, but again go over it again with a decent wax polish.

Just dont rub to hard on new paintwork as it'll be soft and you'll polish it right off and do a small area at a time.

I'm not bodywork expert, but this is what I found works for me.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 10:47 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

T Cut is crap full stop.

go to your nearest spray paint supply shop and ask then for "Farecla G3" just get a 1ltr bottle. while you are there ask them for some royal polish or simelar or grade A polish (grade A is a liquid and its blue its in a white bottle) its what car showrooms use on there cars.

if the scratches are realy heavy you could also ask then for a touch-up pot but you will need the paint code, also ask them to put the laqure in the pot as it makes it better for cutting. you will also need a very fine artists paint brush they usually have them to.

dont go trying to add to much paint in one go to fill the scratch better off giving it a few thiner coats than one big blob. let dry compleatly then buff down with 3G

i found it best using "Farecla G3" with a little water from a mister like the ones you use to mist your hous plants any diy store sell them.

you also want microfiber cloths, i get mine from aldi get a few when you are there you will love them.

squirt the G3 on paintwork then spray a couple of squirts of water on the area you are going to "cut" then with small circular motions polish the scratches out.

if its a realy small area the just use a damp/wet microfiber cloth covering a finger tip with some 3G on it

dont polish to hard but not to soft. it takes a fair bit of pressure to do it but its worth the elbo grease.

you will never get the scratch out completly coz if you do you will be down to the paint or undercoat. the laqure is quite hard and its usualy what scratches so u want to buff the laqure.

Last edited by Bibio; 06-08-08 at 10:50 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 10:50 AM   #4
sv650k4

G3 is a pretty good job for this sort of thing as said above!

another thing you can do is get a crayon the same colour of your bike or near the same colour and put that into the scuffs and then a light polish.