SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-08-22, 07:43 PM   #1
redtrummy

Default Langdale theme park

Recently there was a thread re getting up the Hardknott pass - it therefore may be of interest/concern that planning proposals are imminent for a theme park to be constructed in the Langdales. Can I request anyone that appreciates the wild open spaces to sign the petition opposing its construction.

https://chng.it/5tqR4cDHJH
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-22, 08:40 PM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Langdale theme park

Signed and shared on Fb.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-22, 06:19 PM   #3
redtrummy

Thanks Gary. Several years ago I shared a ski chalet with Mark Weir(former owner of the Honnister mine) and his family. At the time he was at war with the National Park planning board trying to get permission to erect a zip wire across the old mine. It divided opinion in the Lakes with, I believe, Chris Bonnington in favour for one, but many others against. He made the point that the Lakes should not become a national museum and locals needed jobs. I could see where he was coming from but where do yo draw the line? Two months later he was killed, when he crashed his helicopter flying at night without a licence. His family did finally get permission and since then an application has been submitted for a park at Thirlmere and now this one - before too long the Lakes could become Blackpool with hills!
Old 11-08-22, 08:51 AM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm in the opposite camp. the lakes needs jobs. ok if the area is of outstanding natural beauty and is a national park then no. if its some stupid road that is a nightmare for most people then yes as long as they replace the access the road used to have.

i would rather see a "fun park" than a dilapidated old mine. there aren't enough "fun parks" in the UK as it is.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 02:13 PM   #5
redtrummy

'dilapidated old mine' tend to end up, over time, as an area of SSSI, we need to give nature a chance to re cover, live with nature, not against it