SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-22, 07:39 AM   #11
daktulos

Default Re: Do you refuel on the side stand or centre stand/centred?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I thought it was just a pre-authorisation and they dont actually take it. It's just pre-authorised so they can access payment if you do a runner?
It is (for the pumps I use anyway) - they charge £1 which is updated after a day or two. However, they reserve £99 so you won't be able to spend that money until it's been updated.

It makes no difference to me as I tend to have more than £100 in the account. Equally, it'd be fine if I had an overdraft on that account.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-22, 01:04 PM   #12
DJ123
Mega Poster

only Morrisons or Asda i think that do that value. My local Tesco only subs £1 when you process it. For the bike it would be inconvenient, but for my car it would jsut about cover it (£95 to fill up)

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-22, 06:05 PM   #13
EssEllTwo

I'm sure I remember filling my Fazer whilst sat on it, but the couple of times I've filled the SV, I've done it on the side stand, mainly so I don't clumsily clonk the tank with the nozzle and damage it.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 10:49 AM   #14
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I won't touch pay at the pump now they debit your card £100 before you even put any fuel in.
I believe the principle is that if you are using a DEBIT card, the contract is between YOU and the retailer, and they want to ensure that YOU will have the funds to pay the bill, so "claim" the max amount the bill could reach (the limit of the potential sale at the pump, £100 or something similar). The account is corrected after the sale/payment has been completed, that may take a short while.

If you use a CREDIT card the contract is between the retailer and the card company. It is very unlikely a credit card company will not honour the contract hence they don't need to lay claim to the max amount. The card company pay the bill then you have to settle up with them, not the retailer.

I know that in France the law regarding an individual not paying (e.g. writing a bouncy cheque) is a serious offence and will result in your bank account being seized etc., hence the measures to ensure the payment will be made. I never use a debit card at a fuel pump.

I may be wrong on some of the detail, others will correct if necessary.
Old 21-03-22, 12:57 PM   #15
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

I filled up as ASDA on Friday last week using Pay at Pump. It came up on the screen that Mastercard (credit) changing the way they processed the transaction and would do the allocate the funds then adjust after thing.

Guess not everyone has been paying their cc bills.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 06:15 PM   #16
EssEllTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I won't touch pay at the pump now they debit your card £100 before you even put any fuel in.

Who is the "they" in this case? I filled up the car at Asda on the way home tonight, the pump "approved £1" and then let me fill up. I currently have one "pending card authorisation" for £1 for Asda showing on my bank account. The full £75 is nowhere to be seen, let alone £100.
Old 21-03-22, 06:26 PM   #17
Chris_SVS

Always filled up astride, when I fuel my van I absolutely neck it (cos DPF additive)

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 21-03-22 at 06:28 PM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 06:47 PM   #18
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssEllTwo View Post
Who is the "they" in this case? I filled up the car at Asda on the way home tonight, the pump "approved £1" and then let me fill up. I currently have one "pending card authorisation" for £1 for Asda showing on my bank account. The full £75 is nowhere to be seen, let alone £100.
The 'they' is the card companies and banks, presumably in association with the petrol companies. In effect, they are moving towards ringfencing £100 in your account when you use pay by pump in lieu of default. In your situation, if you were on your bike for example, the pending card authorisation would be £100 and you'd have £15 of petrol in your bike. Happy with that?
As Embee mentions earlier, "The account is corrected after the sale/payment has been completed, that may take a short while." However, the short while may be a few hours or in some cases, several days, which is not good if you're close to your credit limit or low on funds in the current account.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-22, 07:15 PM   #19
EssEllTwo

Ok, I must be lucky then, I've never seen £100 authorisation come up on a pump, only only £1.
Old 21-03-22, 07:24 PM   #20
yokohama

It's a relatively new introduction - to protect against drivers filling up without having enough funds in their account to pay.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...tomers-accoun/
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote