SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-22, 10:52 PM   #1
svenrico

Default hugger

Anybody got a Powerbronze hugger on their gen 3 SV650A ?
Mine has cracked due to fouling the original rigid mud flap that hangs down in front of the rear wheel, obviously making contact as the suspension has compressed as the bike has been ridden.
The manufacturer says they have sold hundreds of these and nobody else has reported this issue!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 08:07 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: hugger

You're having bad luck with your rear, aren't you? First the shock and now the hugger.

I don't have the PB hugger but the Pyramid Plastics hugger also cracked but that's because there's too much weight on the thin mounting bracket. They replaced it and I reinforced the new one before installation.
https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/colle...tte-black-2016

I liked the concept of it going above and below the swing arm but it was too small overall, so I bought a Red Fox hugger for a Gladius:
https://www.red-fox.com/red-fox-prod...ladius-huggers

I was told by Red Fox it wouldn't fit the AL7 but the swing arm pictures looked the same in the parts manual - there was one digit difference in the part number which I hoped was for colour. It wasn't a perfect fit but I've had huggers for other bikes which weren't quite perfect either. The AL7 has a guide for the rear brake hose and that bracket has a pin, the hole for which wasn't on the hugger - so either drill the hugger or remove the plastic pin (it was easier to do the latter). It's been on now for 20k miles without a problem.