SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 12-09-07, 05:47 PM   #1
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Gear change problem-can't get past 2nd gear

On the way to work today about 5 mins away 3 loud clunks where heard at the bottom of the engine so took it easy and parked up at work was able to get the bike into neutral from top gear easily, now i find i can't get it past 2nd gear, it will select 1st neutral second like normal but won't go any further

Something tells me this is a biggy with the engine having to come out for a transmission overhaul, if that's the case the bikes of the road until next year , will have to get the dosh together for this one!

probably will have to this!

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=95535

Its either the gear selector broke or a dropped fork!

Gonna have to work out how people get the sv engine out

Northy! help
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 05:51 PM   #2
muzikill
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gear change problem-can't get past 2nd gear

sorry about the multiposts!
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
Old 12-09-07, 06:25 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Getting it out's easy. Well, I say that, never actually done it but I've done everthing that's involved other than the actual drop, easy. Taking it apart, putting it back together, and having it not punch you in the face with a piston the first time you start it... That's not so easy.

But, it should be cheaper than you'd think, if you have a source of parts (me). I've never actually rebuilt an SV motor below the barrels, never got round to it with my spare, but if you fancy taking it on as a DIY job I'd be happy to help. Not sure that I have all the bits still, Richie got most of mine out of the decent engine, but the one with the spiders living in it might do the job.

Have you considered option b? That's fit another engine, and break yours. You could probably get £200, £250 for the cams, tensioners, clutch, crank, cases and rods out of yours with any luck.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 12-09-07 at 06:29 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 06:32 PM   #4
muzikill
Mega Poster

Electrical engineer by trade mate, pretty good at reverse enginnering stuff!
Things like this don't beat me, at the moment i'm trying to work our how people have got the engine out safely (winch or car jack only?) and transported / lifted the engine onto a workbench

Amazes me how little there is to a sv engine when you see the pics posted on this site from a strip/rebuild
Old 12-09-07, 06:37 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

SV engine's small enough that I can lift it myself,and I'm feeble... Can't remember the weight, 40-50 kilos. I reckon balancing on a good quality jack, with you keeping it upright, is probably the way to go. It's built to sit on the sump, like most japanese engines.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 06:52 PM   #6
muzikill
Mega Poster

Cool! i think the tricky bit will be 'lining up' the engine once its ready to put back together so it fires in the right sequence and doesnt go boom like you said!

things like, dropping the engine and how to move the bike away etc... also would probably pick it up and put it onto a wooden surface for safety, but like i said i was freaking out at the prospect of having to take it out, strip it build it but ive got the positive head on over this now so thinking forwards! (especially by the thought of paying 700-1000 for a garage to do it!)

Last edited by muzikill; 12-09-07 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 07:30 PM   #7
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

cheers for the PM.
yes one person can lift the engine out while another pulls the final bolt from the frame.
As northy said if you have any probs or question then please just ask, I'll try my best to help / assist via the medium of the interweb type thingy...

ps.. download the manual and have it printed out....
Old 12-09-07, 10:27 PM   #8
mart

hi I've just taken my engine out of mine. its not so hard but fitting it back in is a pain on your own. i had to get help from a passer by. if you need help give me a shout
Old 13-09-07, 07:45 PM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
download the manual and have it printed out....
And read it CAREFULLY. More carefully than I did, anyway. Watch out for the left hand thread.