SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Are you:
A public sector worker who supports the strike? 12 16.44%
A public sector worker who is against the strike? 6 8.22%
A private sector worker who supports the strike? 16 21.92%
A private sector worker who is against the strike? 31 42.47%
Someone who couldn't care less. 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-11-11, 05:13 PM   #101
injury_ian

Default Re: Strike day tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
You both want new dummies or you just gonna pick those 2 up?

I should point out that the new dummies will have to be bought by yourselves because we're too skint now after paying for you lot to take the day off.

How many of you actually stood on the picket lines from 9 until 5 today?
I wouldn't have thought Stenno would have as he works in the private sector, but then he does like a good picket line bonfire!
Old 30-11-11, 05:18 PM   #102
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

You don't have to be on the picket line to be making a point... Please remember its against the law for large numbers of people to stand on the picket line!!!

I love some of your arguements owenski, but the ones I've seen seem to be the case of I got shafted so everyone else should.

You even think your wife should get hurt by these imposed rules. Don't you see that by hurting her the government are indirectly hurting your standard of living in the future. If your wifes pension is better then doesn't that mean that your family will be better off in the future... Isn't that worth her fighting for?

I work for one of the biggest company's in the IT world... Just so happens that your taxes still pay my wage and make the company a huge profit each year (not that I agree with that)

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-11, 05:18 PM   #103
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Perhaps workers in the private sector should rethink the habits of the last thirty years and join unions like they used to.Whatever the rights and wrongs of any particular issue you will be screwed over as an individual in a spat with a corporate body when negotiating pay and conditions.Its a power relationship and most individuals have very little power unless they band together in some way.Life isnt fair,and you need to look after your interests as best you can.Rest assured the employers will.
The cold facts of it are that if we had unions to defend us we'd have gone the same way as the miners.
The only reason I've still got a job because my employer was able to reduce me down to 4 days, and knock down my salary.
If a union would have prevented him taking that action I would now be without a job.
Old 30-11-11, 05:22 PM   #104
punyXpress
Mega Poster

A lot has been said about things being ' taken away ', presumably by the coalition government.
The day they took over, as so eloquently stated by their predecessor, " there's no money left", all bets and promises were off due to the recklessness ( and worse) of the previous government.
Those who are now bleating at their treatment should at least know who to blame.
Old 30-11-11, 05:28 PM   #105
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
The cold facts of it are that if we had unions to defend us we'd have gone the same way as the miners.
The only reason I've still got a job because my employer was able to reduce me down to 4 days, and knock down my salary.
If a union would have prevented him taking that action I would now be without a job.
Nissan (and others)have unions,negotiated short time working in the credit crunch,and survived to do reasonably well.Its about having a sensible balanced relationship with the employer which you rarely get as an individual.
Incidently,the miners went because the entire industry was replaced by north sea gas and other energy sources that were cheaper or greener.The union may have been militant and centre stage but were ultimately irrelevent to the outcome.
Old 30-11-11, 05:29 PM   #106
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelesschucca View Post
You don't have to be on the picket line to be making a point... Please remember its against the law for large numbers of people to stand on the picket line!!!

I love some of your arguements owenski, but the ones I've seen seem to be the case of I got shafted so everyone else should.

You even think your wife should get hurt by these imposed rules. Don't you see that by hurting her the government are indirectly hurting your standard of living in the future. If your wifes pension is better then doesn't that mean that your family will be better off in the future... Isn't that worth her fighting for?

I work for one of the biggest company's in the IT world... Just so happens that your taxes still pay my wage and make the company a huge profit each year (not that I agree with that)
Ahhh flattery, you know how to get my attention

Ive tried very hard to share the facts of my individual situation without it appearing like a pitty plea, (I've clearly failed lol but I tried). Thats why I've mentioned quite a few times Im aware I am a lucky one, and I am because I've still got a job, I've taken the hits along with my employer in order to ensure i've still got a job tomorrow and I've been that way without complaint. However I will not sit here and give you support or symphathy when your methods and actions in defending yourself aginst cuts (insinficiant by comparrison to those I've already sustained myself) when it will all boil down to futher financial hits on the private sector, of which construction is at the forefront.
David said it way better and he's managed it in 2 lines,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
No, its more "We have been putting up with this kind of rubbish for years (drops in pay/no payrise, changes in terms and conditions) so now its your turn, shut up and quit whining"
I am aware that my wife and I share her gains/losses but we're going to be far worse off if my employer can no longer pay his staff and has to let us all go. The reality which has been the very real threat we've all had to work under for the last 4 years.

Last edited by Owenski; 30-11-11 at 05:39 PM.
Old 30-11-11, 05:32 PM   #107
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Oh fecking woe is me !!!
No pay rise for 2 years, only getting 1%.

Don't like the pension conditions? Don't have one then, it's that simple.

Regular wage, don't have to work too hard, no tax man breathing down your neck, no increased business or material costs, no tight ar5e customers trying to screw you for every penny, forgive me if I don't give much sympathy.

My wife works in the Nhs, is she striking and bitching about things, no, shes grateful she's got a decent job.

And breath...
Ok Phil.

I don't have a problem with the current pension conditions, it's what they are proposing to change them to that's the problem.

Maybe you could ask your wife if they've got any jobs where she works. If your opinion is that we don't work very hard then I'd love a job there!

If your conditions are so terrible being self employed then dont do it!
"it's that simple"

Quote:

I should point out that the new dummies will have to be bought by yourselves because we're too skint now after paying for you lot to take the day off.
Nobody who took the day off to strike (probably everyone, but certainly in the NHS trust I work for) was paid!

So far I have resited the urge to post on this thread but todays events have really p**sed me off!

I was in favour of the strike in principle, but have a conscience and a duty of care to the innocent people who needed an emergency operation!

On these grounds I decided to not strike and work today as normal. As a wonderfully timed surprise and thank you at lunchtime today I had a hand delivered letter from a manager stating that "due to current restructuring"
I will have to re-apply for my job!
Now that's what I call genius timing
Old 30-11-11, 05:42 PM   #108
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
No, its more "We have been putting up with this kind of rubbish for years (drops in pay/no payrise, changes in terms and conditions) so now its your turn, shut up and quit whining"
Been happening in the public sector for years too David, that's part of the issue, so I shall continue to whine
Old 30-11-11, 05:49 PM   #109
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste View Post

On these grounds I decided to not strike and work today as normal. As a wonderfully timed surprise and thank you at lunchtime today I had a hand delivered letter from a manager stating that "due to current restructuring"
I will have to re-apply for my job!
Now that's what I call genius timing
Well theres gratitude.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-11, 05:50 PM   #110
Owenski

Quote:
Nobody who took the day off to strike (probably everyone, but certainly in the NHS trust I work for) was paid!
I think you've miss-understood my sentement there, I know those within the unions have not been paid for the day of missed work. Thats not the cost to which I refered. The cost incurred by many private sector works, be it either a days leave or a days child care amoungst other things. This is the cost at which I was refereing too.

Quote:
I was in favour of the strike in principle, but have a conscience and a duty of care to the innocent people who needed an emergency operation!
Im sure im not alone in applauding your attitude, you're one of the few, maybe thats further testiment to your career choice and that you've got a duty of care. However I know not of one single person on strike today who even attended thier picket, do these people truely care? or do they see it as a day off?