SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-10-11, 07:31 PM   #1
Stenno

Unhappy Repairing my K5 after highside

So I've got my bike in my old man's garage having highsided at Rockingham on Friday...

I need:-
RH foot peg

Front brake reservoir and whatever connects it to the lever as this is sheared off. Not sourced a spare yet?

RH indicator (had the small carbon fibre look type but will replace both if cheap alternative found)
RH mirror

Right hand clip on needs moving back round. The locating pin has sheared off but hopefully I can live without it?

The rear brake lever is bent towards the body. I'm going to attempt to heat this up and bend it back if that sounds reasonable?

The front fairing is pretty ground down and thus the light fitting is a tad loose but in one piece. Not sure whether to just gaffer tape it all together and live with it for now or I've heard people talking about plastic welding? Any ideas?

Also the fuel tank is scratched. Not sure if I'm fussed about a full respray but obviously concerned about rust proofing it. Any ideas how to achieve this?

I'll try and post some pics and then look around in the spares forum.

Cheers.

Last edited by Stenno; 11-10-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-10-11, 07:55 PM   #2
todsky426

Default Re: Repairing my K5 after highside

The brake leaver can be re-shaped, make sure you heat it up with a blowlamp and take care bend it in small stages otherwise it will fracture, i would suggest finding a new clip on off ebay my LH clip on lug had sheared off i rode it like this for a while but i wouldn't recommend anyone doing so just incase
Old 11-10-11, 10:08 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

i've got a RH clip on, it is slightly bent downards so its very clsoe to the tank on full RH lock. Maybe good enough to do you for now. They are cheap on ebay for £20 a pop

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 10:22 PM   #4
Stenno

Cheers Daddyjob, I'll move mine round first and inspect it. I don't think it's bent thankfully.
Old 12-10-11, 10:43 AM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I have been riding my bike for 4 years using clip ons with no locator screw/grub/pin. As not affected me at all and I ride like a twunt! It'll only move in an accident situation so I wouldn't worry about it.

Gaffer tape the Front cowling and keep your eye on ebay for a better condition one going on the cheap. That;ll be expensive to fix as the whole side will need reshaping after it is stuck back together and not worth the effort IMHO.

Front brake master cylinder can be had for 20 quid on ebay usually, so will be cheap enough to replace.

Just clean up any loose paint on the tank and use some touch up paint to protect it until you decide what your gonna do.

You'll be back on the road in no time, all be it on a bike that looks a little sorry for itself!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-11, 10:55 AM   #6
enzoalex

Ha, I reshaped my brake lever on my old bike using just a hammer.

It went very well.

But yeah, heat it up if you can
Old 13-10-11, 09:36 AM   #7
Stenno

Cheers for the advice Phil!

I've ordered new mirrors and indicators. Just searching ebay for the front brake master cylinder and foot peg.

I'll touch up the paintwork and gaffa tape the cowling as suggested.

My dads a plumber so I'll borrow his gas torch to heat up the brake lever and hit it with a hammer!
Old 13-10-11, 10:16 AM   #8
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Don't hit it, bend it (a vice will help). By hitting it you will risk breaking it. If you have nothing to bend it with then hit it gently!!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-11, 10:20 AM   #9
Stenno

haha will do! Cheers Just ordered a new brake cylinder and footpegs on ebay. I think that's everything apart from some touch up paint.
Old 13-10-11, 08:15 PM   #10
injury_ian

*like*

Found a lid yet?