SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: the best modification to standard sv/svs
lowers / Belly Pan / Seat Cowl 6 11.76%
hugger / fender extender 3 5.88%
exhaust / can 20 39.22%
TRE mod / ReMap 0 0%
undertray / plate bracket 8 15.69%
fixed chain oiler 4 7.84%
top yoke protector (surely not) / tank protector 2 3.92%
screen 0 0%
tyres 5 9.80%
others 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-04, 12:12 PM   #1
Baggies JIm

Default sv recommended modifications

Just wondering what's the best modification, folks would recommend to a bog standard bike (sv or svs). In a "you've just got to get one of these" way . It could be for looks, sound, performance, preventative maintenance or other. Bearing in mind cost too (perhaps? - bit boring then though). OEM or Aftermarket. Legal or Illegal. It could be something you've got or something you want. If i've missed anything (& i will), others & detail. I've grouped somethings only because the limit on the number of options allowed.

I've only done OEM lowers and Chris Vines's number plate bracket. I've ordered ERMax colour matched hugger & black fender extender. I want a can bad man. I'll start.

I love my lowers . Purely cosmetic, not cheap, but for me it's the most appearance influencing change & finishes the bike off (for a bit until you start looking else where). I believe they offer a certain amount of protection from road crap/salt whatever. How shallow am I? all about looks, that's probably why i never look at a females face when she's talking to me . But based on what I've got, that's my answer. Although I reckon my fender extender might turn out to be the best mod/£
Old 06-03-04, 12:20 PM   #2
Dirty Baz

I've gone for can. Nothing better than a thumping V-twin in all it's glory.

For me the SV was designed naked and that's the way I likes it! Although nothing against lowers.
Old 06-03-04, 12:55 PM   #3
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
For me the SV was designed naked and that's the way I likes it! Although nothing against lowers.
Lowers on a naked SV will look, erm, how should i say this; somewhat individual.
Old 06-03-04, 01:01 PM   #4
Dirty Baz

I didn't mean lowers on a naked SV!! that would just look

What I meant was I would rather keep my SV650S naked from the waist down if you know what I mean. Looks more individual than the usual race reps.
Old 06-03-04, 03:17 PM   #5
Sharpy

id have to say a decent pair of tyres makes the biggest difference to your bike, then comes the exhaust because the sound of it alone is worth every penny, but tyres are def the best mod ive made, pirelli dragon corsa's
Old 06-03-04, 05:11 PM   #6
Desh

so far I've done the following in the order listed.

BT020\010 Combo
BlueFlame Evo Twin Port Exhaust High Level
**** End with template from this site and Mini Indicators
Ohlins Front Springs
Braided Hoses.

If I was to do them again I'd do them in the following order..

BT020\010 Combo - (£200ish )Cause the Mez 4 are crap
Ohlins Springs and 10W Oil - (£100ish) Excellent mod, front feels a lot more planted
Braided Hoses - (£32.50 from HEL) Good Improvement
Bluflame Evo Twin Port- (£250ish) For the sound and the look not sure if theres much gain in performance from this mod (and not a BlueFlame more likely a Renegade)
**** End - (£50ish for Indicators, and Bracket)

Hope this helps.

Desh
Old 06-03-04, 06:17 PM   #7
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Baz
I didn't mean lowers on a naked SV!! that would just look

What I meant was I would rather keep my SV650S naked from the waist down if you know what I mean. Looks more individual than the usual race reps.
I agree here, Im afraid its all cosmetic for me at the mo. A bellypan would finish it off. I still ahvent forked out £245 fior the OEM one, its too much. I am exploring more US options.

My next may be miniindicators but I cant find the motrax led ones that I want . The CCC can, I think.
Old 07-03-04, 07:53 AM   #8
PBx

I'd sort the front suspension out first. Wish I'd done it the day I bought the bike. No point in doing other stuff if you aint got faith in the roadholding (same goes for tyres really).
Old 07-03-04, 09:43 AM   #9
U.K.Ajay

For me it has been:
Rear Hugger
Fabbri Double Bubble Screen (Being 6 ft 2 it helps)
Set of micro indicators
Set of Avon Azaro Tyres (Huge improvement)
Lowers (Looks lovely)
Colour matched Seat Cowl

Next,
It has to be a Renegade and this will happen in a few weeks time. As for the vote it would have to be the tyres it gives you so much more confidence with your bike
Old 07-03-04, 10:48 AM   #10
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.K.Ajay
As for the vote it would have to be the tyres it gives you so much more confidence with your bike
I'd have to say I agree... The stock Dunlops are crap, but I'm gonna use mine til they're knackered... Can't afford to stick new rubber on til the old stuff is shagged... Not cost effective... Plus I'm skint