SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-08-11, 04:06 AM   #1
doser

Default patching into a switched power curcuit

I have a radar detector which runs its power-cord directly off the battery, then plugs into the 'unit' with a proprietery 7-prong plug. Because the power prong in this plug is always 'live', and because I live in nearly as wet a climate as Britain, despite a 'cap' on the plug over the 2 years I've owned the unit, it has corroded to the point of total loss of power. I'm replacing the cord, but to prevent a recurrence I need a way to interrupt the power. Because of accessibility problems, I wouldhave trouble cutting a switch into the cord as it leaves the battery. The other option si to run the power off a switched curcuit on the bike. I'm pretty hesitant to start cutting into existing wiring, so does anyone have any experience in doing so? If so, which curcuit is easiest? Headlights? And what do you do? How do you insure a good 'seal' afterwards?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13-08-11, 05:23 AM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: patching into a switched power curcuit

use a relay and energise the coil from the side/tail light circuit. when tapping into any wiring on the bike solder the connection and secure with heat shrink rather than use those stupid 'in line splice' connectors.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-11, 09:23 AM   #3
matt_rehm_hext

Yeah just use a relay switched from the tail light circuit, I personally used the number plate light positive feed on my SV to trigger a relay.
Old 14-08-11, 10:57 AM   #4
maxinc

I would first check the specs on that radar detector as I have a suspicion that it only draws a few hundred mA. If thats the case, I would run a cable from the ignition terminal under the pillion seat which is on the 30Amp fused circuit and could easily take a an additional 0.1 - 0.2Amps without the need for a relay and extra wiring. There are even a couple of spare terminals in there you could use to solder your new circuit.
Old 14-08-11, 11:06 AM   #5
AmigaNut

My tom tom is patched in to the tail light circuit.

No Problems
Old 14-08-11, 11:07 AM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I would not bother using a relay if its low current, just add it into the sidelight or taillight circuit.
Some relays can use quite a bit of current all by themselves, and get pretty warm if perminantly energised.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-11, 04:12 AM   #7
doser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinc View Post
I would first check the specs on that radar detector as I have a suspicion that it only draws a few hundred mA. If thats the case, I would run a cable from the ignition terminal under the pillion seat which is on the 30Amp fused circuit and could easily take a an additional 0.1 - 0.2Amps without the need for a relay and extra wiring. There are even a couple of spare terminals in there you could use to solder your new circuit.

OK, correct-a-mundo! I asked, and the unit only draws normal 270mA, max 480 mA. No need for relays and complications. I'll go looking for the circuit you noted - I might need help later. Thanks!