SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-09-18, 09:37 AM   #31
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Dead bike

I hate wiring issues - good luck tracking it down.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 10:49 AM   #32
Bibio
Mega Poster

i'm not trying to be pedantic i'm trying to let readers understand how DC vehicle wiring works. its a common misconception by a large majority of the public that a "ground/earth" on a vehicle has no power so is never tested. if people replace the word ground/earth with common they might remember that its also live. most people when testing vehicle wiring with a DMM/CT only test the "live" wire from end to end but completely forget to test the "common". they also use either the frame or battery negative as the return (common) when testing a "live" wire, this in turn completely misses out an important part of testing.

once you understand that there is no earth/ground and start thinking return/common then you will find DC vehicle wiring much easier to work with. every single wire is either on or off regarding power and that includes the common.

a common is a convenient point/collection of wires in which to return power to the negative battery terminal and most of your vehicle electrical circuits use them especially true of lighting circuits.
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 12:27 PM   #33
glang

well potato, potatto, looks like weve failed on this one.....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-18, 01:17 PM   #34
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
well potato, potatto, looks like weve failed on this one.....
yes, lets discuss centripetal force versus centrifugal force next, it will be just as useful
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 09:04 AM   #35
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Actually electron flow is from negative to positive, this means that the cables on the positive side are empty until a connection is made to negative - this is a good thing as empty cables run cooler than full ones. The connection of negative to frame acts as a heatsink.

Not sure how centripital / centrifugal forces affect electrons but l I know is that my lights and ignition still work when I go around a corner so I have reason to believe any effect can be ignored. Maybe 6volt systems used to be affected as they had strange problems.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 09:24 AM   #36
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules
Not sure how centripital / centrifugal forces affect electrons
Me neither, but the point was that physicists say there's no such thing as a centrifugal force it is actually a centripetal force but the public think differently and it is a common vernacular. It matched this thread perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules
Actually electron flow is from negative to positive
I know, it's just a shame that the arrow on the diode symbol points the "wrong" way for electron flow.

So, do holes move in a bjt?
Old 19-09-18, 11:31 AM   #37
Bibio
Mega Poster

Actually electron flow is from negative to positive, correct but you missed the important part.. inside the battery plates.

this means that the cables on the positive side are empty until a connection is made to negative - ermm nope. both negative and positive are live depending on if there is a device in between for instance, a switch and lamp. if you insert a switch and lamp to "length" of wire then connect the switch end to the positive battery terminal and connect the lamp to the negative battery terminal. the cable running from the positive battery terminal with the switch in the off position is "positive live" with voltage running in it. the cable from the other side of the switch that is connected to the lamp and out the other side to the negative battery terminal is "negative 0v". when you flick the switch too on then everything becomes "live" and lights the lamp.

this is a good thing as empty cables run cooler than full ones. yup 0V cables do run cooler as there is no "power" going through them.

The connection of negative to frame acts as a heatsink. nope.... as the cable running the "power" is a separate entity so unless you can run the cable on top of or inside the metal then it will not have a heatsink value. what you can do is use the frame as a "giant wire" and a COM to connect the otherwise bundle of "negative" wires. the frame does not act like a heatsink pulling heat away from wires.

i think i have said enough on the matter so if you want to keep arguing then get your facts right
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 12:23 PM   #38
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
ermm nope. both negative and positive are live depending on if there is a device in between
and in a vehicle we usually tie one side of the battery to the chassis as the return path and we define this as either negative earth or positive earth. (even though it is isolated from the ground)

We stopped using positive earth because of galvanic corrosion.

Irrespective of definitions, we couldn't fix his bike.
Old 19-09-18, 01:24 PM   #39
keith_d
Mega Poster

And the connection between centripetal force and electrical power is.... the greek letter omega.

The calculation of centripetal force uses the angular velocity, whose symbol is lower case omega ω (at least when I studied physics).

The calculation of electrical power uses the resistance in ohms. The SI symbol for ohms is an upper case omega. Ω

None of which brings us any closer to fixing a dead bike.

Last edited by keith_d; 19-09-18 at 01:27 PM.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-18, 02:24 PM   #40
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Actually electron flow is from negative to positive, correct but you missed the important part.. inside the battery plates.

this means that the cables on the positive side are empty until a connection is made to negative - ermm nope. both negative and positive are live depending on if there is a device in between for instance, a switch and lamp. if you insert a switch and lamp to "length" of wire then connect the switch end to the positive battery terminal and connect the lamp to the negative battery terminal. the cable running from the positive battery terminal with the switch in the off position is "positive live" with voltage running in it. the cable from the other side of the switch that is connected to the lamp and out the other side to the negative battery terminal is "negative 0v". when you flick the switch too on then everything becomes "live" and lights the lamp.

this is a good thing as empty cables run cooler than full ones. yup 0V cables do run cooler as there is no "power" going through them.

The connection of negative to frame acts as a heatsink. nope.... as the cable running the "power" is a separate entity so unless you can run the cable on top of or inside the metal then it will not have a heatsink value. what you can do is use the frame as a "giant wire" and a COM to connect the otherwise bundle of "negative" wires. the frame does not act like a heatsink pulling heat away from wires.

i think i have said enough on the matter so if you want to keep arguing then get your facts right
Your reply indicates that you took what I posted seriously

Irony and sarcasm do not come over well on forum posts.

@seeker, according to Newtonian laws centrifugal force need to exist to balance centripital force otherwise the centripital force would push the object towards centre of rotation until it reached the centre, and why do liquids and gasses behave differently to solids when spun around a fixed point, where the heavier parts ( example, the cells in blood and the uranium atoms in gas) move to the furthest point from axis, and are not pushed inwards by centripital force. And how does a spin drier work ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-09-18 at 07:46 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote