SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-07-17, 03:31 PM   #31
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I bet tow truck operators are rubbing their hands at the prospect of upsurge in future business.
Well there'll be a lot of fuel delivery HGV drivers to recruit.
Old 31-07-17, 05:36 PM   #32
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
What happens if you run out of charge? The range is currently quite limited so I can imagine this happening relatively frequently. You can't just walk/hike/get a taxi to the nearest petrol station and buy a plastic fuel can. You can't take the battery out of the car because it'll be too heavy. You can't carry charge.

So does the electric AA van get fitted with a huge heavy battery to charge you up or do they rely on something smaller and lighter like a fossil fuel powered generator?

Do electric vehicles have a neutral? Cos without a clutch, you might also come to a rapid stop in the middle of traffic.
Can only speak for the Nissan.
The nav will tell you how far you can go.if it's a longer trip it route to charge location s.
Fast charge from flat ie5%to 89% is 40 mins.
If you are unfortunate to run until the car goes flat then the RAC have a fast charge support just for Nissan customer service
Old 01-08-17, 06:21 AM   #33
timwilky
Mega Poster

To me, Electric vehicles are just not practical. I currrntly own a small Citreon dispatch van that I use as a run around. Trips to builders merchants etc. A passat that gets used for those longer family days out/away and a peugeot C1 tht the wife uses. Add to that my son with a mondao and daughter with a kuga.

So. how about the weight carrying of the van. In goes wood, brick etc. It cost me a grand 4 years ago. What would econonically replace that. the passat does about 3000 a year. mostly on a couple of long trips of about 5-600 miles. ok the c1 is local use only and could be replaced. that cost 7000 1 year old. again economical replacement? The mondao carries the lads tools and goes everywhere so again load capacity especially with a few boxes of tiles/buckets of adhesive etc. The kuga is new. 17 plate and does about 130 miles a day. but she is also a scout leader. The car will need about 300 miles range. There is no charging parked up in the middle of nowhere whilst they camp.

but what about charging. 5 vehicles a time. FFS the kids buy their own fuel. how do they get their own electricity supply? What about my 500 mile trips. I fill up. do the trip and fill up when I return. Electric will only be practical when I can instant charge have the range etc.

So my prefered solution would still be hydrogen fuel cell. we have the potential for lots of excess electicity from renewables. use that to create hydrogen. I know not exactly efficient. But it is storable.
Old 01-08-17, 06:33 AM   #34
NTECUK
Mega Poster

This now
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ix35-fuel-cell
Image what you are going to be able ( oil corporation allowing of course) in five years time...
Toyota can do it too
https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/new-mirai/the-facts

Last edited by NTECUK; 01-08-17 at 06:37 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 06:53 AM   #35
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
we have the potential for lots of excess electicity from renewables.
For the above, substitute 'we have the potential for very little electricity from renewables which have cost (and continue to cost) taxpayers an awful lot of money in subsidies for very little in return'

Now that is nearer the truth............

(Hydrogen can also be made from certain bacteria / chlorophyll working digesting plant material under the right (closed tank in the dark) circumstances, but it would probably mean covering every bit of spare land with tanks that would make poly-tunnels look pretty.

The Honda Clarity fuel cell car was running around decades ago in limited quantities, I think infrastructure to supply explosive hydrogen at enormous pressures was the limiting factor.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 01-08-17 at 06:56 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 07:52 AM   #36
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yes it's still a problem with about 15 hydrogen filling stations and a lot of them are closed to the public.
But then we do have till 2040 at the earliest to get it in place.
Not that's that's going to worry me.
If I'm still alive it's a Mobility Scooter for me .
Old 01-08-17, 10:09 AM   #37
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Not leccy cars, but . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leccy train.jpg (52.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-17, 12:17 AM   #38
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
But then we do have till 2040 at the earliest to get it in place.
A lot of mis-reporting and hysteria about this story.
Here's what the Air Quality Plan actually says on the matter: "The government will end the sale of all new conventional petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2040."
So it looks from the word "conventional" that there is not to be a ban on petrol or diesel cars, just a ban on cars which are exclusively petrol or diesel.
Hybrids will still be allowed.
Another option is dual-fuel.
There are already dual-fuel Ford Transits which can burn hydrogen or petrol in their (supercharged) internal combustion engines.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-17, 08:49 AM   #39
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
So it looks from the word "conventional" that there is not to be a ban on petrol or diesel cars, just a ban on cars which are exclusively petrol or diesel.
It doesn't really matter about the finer points of the description. The point is that the government has decided that we're moving away from petrol and diesel. So it will become less and less available, and some other energy infrastructure will have to replace it, and the govt will probably just sit back and let the industry sort itself out.

This is an issue because petrol and diesel are currently ubiquitous. So I predict there will soon be several competing incompatible technologies created by different manufacturers, creating uncertainty and instability for many years until one finally wins out. And it's not necessarily the best one.

Betamax vehicles here we come.
Old 02-08-17, 08:52 AM   #40
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
It doesn't really matter about the finer points of the description. The point is that the government has decided that we're moving away from petrol and diesel. So it will become less and less available, and some other energy infrastructure will have to replace it, and the govt will probably just sit back and let the industry sort itself out.

This is an issue because petrol and diesel are currently ubiquitous. So I predict there will soon be several competing incompatible technologies created by different manufacturers, creating uncertainty and instability for many years until one finally wins out. And it's not necessarily the best one.

Betamax vehicles here we come.
On the flip side we could end up with Blu-ray cars instead of HD-dvd

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk