SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-04-10, 08:38 PM   #1
mouse8197

Default Engine noise at top end

hi guys,
looking for a bit of advice again, was just off to a rally with a couple of lad when heard a tapping noise, i think its coming from the front cylinder so did a search of the threads and after reading a bit i think that the problem could be the cam chain tensioner, but woulb that cause the oil pressure light to come on and the engine cut out when i let off the revs.
thanks in advance mark

ps, its a 2000 curvy no mods but de-restricted.
Old 18-04-10, 01:02 PM   #2
Preston

Default Re: Engine noise at top end

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse8197 View Post
hi guys,
looking for a bit of advice again, was just off to a rally with a couple of lad when heard a tapping noise, i think its coming from the front cylinder so did a search of the threads and after reading a bit i think that the problem could be the cam chain tensioner, but woulb that cause the oil pressure light to come on and the engine cut out when i let off the revs.
thanks in advance mark

ps, its a 2000 curvy no mods but de-restricted.

no it would not mate... make sure your oil lvl is ok.. take plugs out and see what they look like.. if black and the nock IS! on the front cylinder then could be the piston rings are ****ed, piston hitting the head, small end B, could be many things.

if you have a nocking sound it could be anything mate. you would not beable to tell where it is coming from. just by hearing it close up as teh sound will travile thought he block, get your self a set of silverline mechanics stethoscopes and use that to pin point the sound will give you a better idea. can take ya CCT out and check it .. only 2 bolts holding it on. but that should adjust its self as the cam chain needs it.

if still no joy then time to get deeper in and start stripping..
Old 18-04-10, 04:17 PM   #3
Alpinestarhero

oil light relates to oil pressure, not oil level. I wouldnt be running the bike if the oil pressure light is coming on - you may be starving at least the valve train of oil, possibly the bottom end aswell! No need to get a fancy set of stethoscopes, you can put a screwdriver against the engine and listen down it (put the pointy end against the engine...); this will help you identify if its cam chains slapping about (bad cam chain tensioner) or if its the crank end (bearing shells scored due to insufficient lubrication).

Check engine oil; drain what is in there and see if you get any particulates coming out. That lov oil pressure really needs investigating
Old 18-04-10, 04:33 PM   #4
Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero View Post
oil light relates to oil pressure, not oil level. I wouldnt be running the bike if the oil pressure light is coming on - you may be starving at least the valve train of oil, possibly the bottom end aswell! No need to get a fancy set of stethoscopes, you can put a screwdriver against the engine and listen down it (put the pointy end against the engine...); this will help you identify if its cam chains slapping about (bad cam chain tensioner) or if its the crank end (bearing shells scored due to insufficient lubrication).

Check engine oil; drain what is in there and see if you get any particulates coming out. That lov oil pressure really needs investigating

fancy scopes? they cost £3.00 and anyone that owns a bike should have a set. the o.p.l can be triggered by many things oil lvl can result in over heating wich will also trigger the light + low oil lvl can make it harder for the oil to get to the cams, valves, and as for a screw driver.. that dos not incress the sound or isolate where the sound is comming from .. all you hear is teh sound vibrations though the block.
Old 18-04-10, 06:22 PM   #5
mouse8197

thanks guys looks like i'll have to look a bit deeper, not sure i want to though i dont have that much experience with 4 stroke engines always had 2 strokes in the past, may well just take it to a mechanic if i can find one in the west of ireland.
when the knocking started i stopped riding so hopefully not done anymore damage and not ridden it since.

Last edited by mouse8197; 18-04-10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 19-04-10, 10:10 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Good call, get it to someone who has the experiance Glad you havn't run it since - it can be saved!

else there are plenty of SV engines about, sometimes its cheaper to just put a new (see: old but new to yourself) one in