SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-10, 07:34 PM   #1
Milky Bar Kid

Default Unhappy with servicing.

So, as some of you will be aware, I took my bike into our nearest suzuki dealer for servicing on Tuesday. I arrived just before 1pm as agreed and was told that unless there was some MAJOR problem then the bike would be ready by the end of the day.

I got a phonecall about twenty to four telling me the front brakes needed stripping and that it should be finished about 5pm. Fine says I. Ten minutes later, I get a call saying, actually, no. They are quite badly corroded and bike won't be ready til 10am the following morning. So bearing in mind I am about 55 miles away from home, I popped down and asked to have a look. The manager wasn't overly chuffed but agreed to take me into the workshop. The sight which met me was the mechanic working on a Yamaha R6....with no one even near my bike and the calipers were still on it.

I asked them if there were any other issues with the bike and was told no, absolutely everything else was fine. I left it like that and jumped on the back of my pals GSXR750 to get home.

Next morning, a pal gave me a lift back through. Arrived about 11.25am. Bike not touched all morning. Was then told the rear caliper was stuff and that a pin had apparently seized in it and they were apparently not allowed to touch the bike til I had given permission. I queried why I wasn't 'phoned and the guy started getting all defensive and saying stuff like" Are you complaining about the service? What exactly is your complaint??"

I politely explained that I didn't understand why I couldn't have been informed about the problems earlier on, saving me the 110 mile round trip. He got really snotted and decided I was trying to accuse him of diddling me out of money. I informed him that I was suggesting no such thing and that tbh, the money wasn't what concerned me. He got very rude and said the following:

"If you are not happy with our service then I suggest you go elsewhere in future."

I completely agreed with this point!!!

Anyway, he then informed me bike would be ready after lunch. I met up with a lass that used to work on my shift, had lunch and natter for an hour and a half. Went back down with her, nope. Not ready. Be ready in an hour.

Got a phone call, not be ready til later, need to drill a pin out....ok says I, how long, about another hour or so. An hour and a half later I went down....no joy. And they had stopped working on my bike.

I lost the rag a little bit and told them I didn't mind them doing the work that needed done on my bike but that I was raging that they had me running about after them for two whole days!! He then told me he would deliver my bike tomorrow, no extra charge.

I then had to sit for 3 hours and wait on the next bus - in full gear. Got on the bus, like a twonk wearing leathers and looking like a total Tard...

So we worked it out and apparently with all the work this mechanic had done, it was at least 6hrs of labour (if all that I was being told was true).

Tonight, 2 hours after bike was due, he arrives. Apparently had to replace caliper with a second hand one. Fair dues.

My invoice looks as follows:

7500 miles service: 3.5 hrs @ £40 per hour + VAT = £140
Silkolene Oil: £14.25
Sump washers: £0.50
Oil filter: £9.57
Spark Plug: £12.72
Health and safety: £3.38
2nd hand caliper: £34.04

Grand total: £252!!!!

Never again.

Old 15-04-10, 07:39 PM   #2
carternd

Default Re: Servicing...

Why can't people say "I'm not sure" rather than stringing people along? I'd have been tempted to say, give me the bike back. Name and shame them all over the web.

Old 15-04-10, 07:40 PM   #3
mjc

its a pain right.

how about...

workshop manual- £20

sorted

Old 15-04-10, 07:42 PM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

you didn't give the go ahead for a second calliper?

he's right about not touching them without your permission but replacing it without your permission?? I'd be concerned he didn't replace it at all especially using second hand parts

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Old 15-04-10, 07:48 PM   #5
lee67

same old story im afraid,..are u sure he changed the caliper???...this was the very reason i went to night college after work to learn bike mehcanics..must have saved me £1000;s over the years''

Old 15-04-10, 07:53 PM   #6
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by carternd View Post
Why can't people say "I'm not sure" rather than stringing people along? I'd have been tempted to say, give me the bike back. Name and shame them all over the web.
Exactly! If he had told me that the brakes looked a bit of a state and were gonna take a bit of work I wouldn't have minded. He saw a young, naive looking lassie and thought he could exploit me...then thought he could bully me when I questioned him!!!!!!!!!!!!! A letter will be going to Suzuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
its a pain right.

how about...

workshop manual- £20

sorted
I know absolutely nothing about mechanics so would be a bit scared of doing anything to the bike without someone guiding me first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
you didn't give the go ahead for a second calliper?

he's right about not touching them without your permission but replacing it without your permission?? I'd be concerned he didn't replace it at all especially using second hand parts
No, he didn't ask me about replacing the caliper. I think, from the look of it he has changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee67 View Post
same old story im afraid,..are u sure he changed the caliper???...this was the very reason i went to night college after work to learn bike mehcanics..must have saved me £1000;s over the years''
Yep, I am gonna start asking people to show me things, try and learn the basics. I certainly will not be going to Scotspeed in Dumfries again!

Old 15-04-10, 07:56 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

where did you take the bike?
That service is shocking.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 15-04-10, 07:58 PM   #8
Milky Bar Kid

Scotspeed Suzuki in Dumfries.

My gripe is not with the work they have done. It needed done so fair dues but my gripe is the fact that they thought they could give me the run around for nearly 3 days!!

Old 15-04-10, 08:19 PM   #9
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid View Post
Yep, I am gonna start asking people to show me things, try and learn the basics. I certainly will not be going to Scotspeed in Dumfries again!
I know where a couple of spanner monkeys are that are willing to break you in. And I'm sure they are willing to help you with the bike as well. Bit of a drive though...

However I would be concerned if any of the work they have claimed to have carried out has been done judging by what you said.

Quote:
He saw a young, naive looking lassie and thought he could exploit me...then thought he could bully me when I questioned him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately it looks like this is what happened. Take it up with the shop management and with Suzuki if its a franchised dealership. Customer service and quality of workmanship is the key to a successful dealer that you trust. It sounds like both of these qualities are missing here.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 15-04-10, 08:24 PM   #10
-Ralph-

Quote:
Scotspeed Suzuki in Dumfries.

My gripe is not with the work they have done. It needed done so fair dues but my gripe is the fact that they thought they could give me the run around for nearly 3 days!!
It depends where "Nr Stranraer" you are, but North Harbour Motorcycles in Ayr is about the same distance, or go for a nice run at the weekend up past St Mary's loch and take it to Saltire in Edinburgh if you want to guarantee good service. Don't touch Mickey Oates in Glasgow with a barge pole BTW!

Closed Thread