SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-02-08, 02:45 PM   #1
arc123

Default Travel/Backpacking info websites

Bit of a long shot this..... but anyway....

I found a very good website with lots of independent travel/backpacking info. All sorts of guidance on RTW tickets, detailed accounts of lots of countries (a lot of countries that don't often appear on the tourist trail ie pakistan/iran). Best feature (and the reason why i'm trying to locate this site) is that it had an estimated cost calculator, where you could enter the amount of weeks you were planning on spending in each country, and it would calculate the estimated costs for you.

Know its a long shot, but are there any experienced travellers here that know of this site, or anything similar?? Cannot believe I didn't bookmark it when I found it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Andy
arc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-08, 02:47 PM   #2
Sudoxe

Default Re: Travel/Backpacking info websites

You could try www.bootsnall.com ?

Dan
Old 22-02-08, 02:53 PM   #3
Kinvig

I've been getting my travel info from the fco.gov.uk & the http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

Where/when you going? Got your visas sorted out?
Old 22-02-08, 03:02 PM   #4
arc123

Thanks for the links - not the site I found (which was excellent) but both look pretty good so will give them a go.....

I have nothing sorted! Just been thinking about doing some travelling for a while. I fancy starting in India/Pakistan/Nepal/Syria/Iran before moving on to the more travelled routes of Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam then Aus/NZ etc.

I almost went travelling when I finshed uni 8 years ago, and got sucked into a career that I have never been enthralled with.

I'm looking for a big change really - looked at moving abroad to work (but that would be in the career I don't really like!). So thinking about saving up as much as I can and trying to explore for 12 months or so.....

Are you going away then Kinvig?
arc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-08, 03:34 PM   #5
Kinvig

You'll need to start factoring your visa requirements. Some of the countries will need a Letter of Invitation.

Iran will be an interesting one to get - I was speaking to the couriers this morning that do visas (the guys tha are always in front of you athte embassy with 50 passports!) & they say that the Iranian visa requires som patience.

I've got a russian multi-entry visa which required the LOI, i cost me ?250 all told. A double entry Kaz one cost ?60 incl LOI (available from Stantours, speak to David). Single entry/tourist visas for 30 days are normally cheaper. Travel insurance is sometimes needed as are bank statements to prove credit worthiness (though this is normally only for business/multi-entry).

Check with the embassies (via their websites) whether you can get a visa in a neighbouring country or whether you have to get it in your country of residence before you go! It's cheaper in a neighbouring country.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm planning a trip at the moment (as you can surmise). More details on Friday 29th Feb.....!
Old 22-02-08, 03:35 PM   #6
Kinvig

...pm me for any info I may be able to help with.

...and check out the maps at stanfords online & covent garden.

...& first contact travel clinic for jabs (you get a free lolly with each jab!!!)
Old 22-02-08, 05:15 PM   #7
pmapp
Mega Poster

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

Is what the missus sister used while planning her traveling.

If at first you don't succeed - use more gaffa tape.
pmapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-08, 10:08 AM   #8
andywilson460

Also don't forget TripAdvisor as it has one of the best travel communities online
Old 23-02-08, 10:55 AM   #9
Wayluya

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc123 View Post
Bit of a long shot this..... but anyway....

I found a very good website with lots of independent travel/backpacking info. All sorts of guidance on RTW tickets, detailed accounts of lots of countries (a lot of countries that don't often appear on the tourist trail ie pakistan/iran). Best feature (and the reason why i'm trying to locate this site) is that it had an estimated cost calculator, where you could enter the amount of weeks you were planning on spending in each country, and it would calculate the estimated costs for you.

Know its a long shot, but are there any experienced travellers here that know of this site, or anything similar?? Cannot believe I didn't bookmark it when I found it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Andy
Never heard of that site, but from past experiances of travelling around parts of the world for extended periods the answer on cost is really down to how much you want to spend/ your lifestyle. Not helpful I know, but......

3rd world is always cheaper than places like Europe or Oz and NZ - and IME the expensive part is........travelling!.....base yourself for a few weeks or pref a month or 2 and your expenses drop radically, better deals on accomadation / you get to hunt places down and find out what is cheap in "your" area, do not feel the need to do "everything" quickly (their is always tommorow!) and yer get the chance to develop some freindships or at least longer term acquaintances.....of course it means you travel /see less but I think everyone eventually gets tired of changing scenery and realises it's about the people you meet not the places you see........

I always travelled alone and the no.1 question I was always asked was "don't you get lonely?"......the answer was the opposite, I got tired of always meeting new people

I went travelling (outside Europe) a bit "later" as well - but never too late
Old 23-02-08, 11:20 AM   #10
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Planning your travel, when I did it back in 1989 there was no internet to look at, all I did was get a RTW ticket and left... went where the wind took me.
Fantastic time.