SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-06-10, 09:40 PM   #1
Ed

Default Beware hot frying pans

Anne was cooking dins this evening (pan fried tuna) and had the fry pan dry and very very hot. She added a bit of olive oil, quick as a flash it vapourised in the hot pan and caught fire. I've never seen a kitchen fire. I thought the place was going to go up - the flames were leaping 3 - 4 feet out the pan, Anne shrieked and ran out the kitchen, I went to grab a damp tea towel but by that time the oil had burned off and the flames subsided. It was the speed of the fire that was so shocking - booomf, huge ball of flames. Left a huge cloud of smoke in the kitchen, I soon dispersed it all - and then it suddenly struck me - this house has no smoke alarm.

I think ours from the last house are in the storage container, guess where I'm going tomorrow.
Old 07-06-10, 09:54 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Beware hot frying pans

Call the local fire brigade mate , they will come and install you some for free , peace of mind dude , peace of mind .
Old 07-06-10, 10:01 PM   #3
Ed

What a brilliant idea!!! Top marks Badger
Old 07-06-10, 10:04 PM   #4
muddi

hhmmm Excellent idea - might just hide my smoke alarms and see if the dishy guys from the local fire station come round... mmmm men in uniform! giggle.
Old 07-06-10, 10:34 PM   #5
Amanda

Yup!! I swear by those boys....

They came round 2 years ago to fit 3 new smoke alarms all free of charge. They were suppose to be 10 year batteries so when they run out you just call them back and they swap them again. However this year one of them started beeping. Sure enough a quick call and they swapped it - had a 2 year battery in it not 10 year one!!!!!
Old 07-06-10, 10:46 PM   #6
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
Yup!! I swear by those boys....

They came round 2 years ago to fit 3 new smoke alarms all free of charge. They were suppose to be 10 year batteries so when they run out you just call them back and they swap them again. However this year one of them started beeping. Sure enough a quick call and they swapped it - had a 2 year battery in it not 10 year one!!!!!
Admit!!!! You swapped them over, didn't you
Old 07-06-10, 10:52 PM   #7
Amanda

DAMN!!! Foiled again, one day my evil plan will not be so transparent!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-10, 02:06 AM   #8
Milky Bar Kid

Bloody hell Ed, scary stuff. I have seen some horrific house fires and to be honest, it's one of my biggest fears, to the extent I have had nightmares on occasion!

We have alarms which are straight into our mains electricity here, Dad paid that little bit extra when getting the house done as we had a scary experience once in our old, rented house, where mice chewed through out lead wiring and the wires touched and there was red hot molten lead all over the kitchen - almost a fire tht ngiht!
Old 08-06-10, 05:18 AM   #9
metalangel

You never think it's going to happen to you. My old flat was in a house fitted with a very sensitve (and loud) fire alarm that used to go off in the middle of the night and scare the living fook out of me. Until, having lived there a few years, there really was a fire (idiot downstairs had pushed his couch next to a storage heater, which came on at 5:30am and set it on fire). Smoke filled rooms, choking fumes, didn't have a hope of fighting it (couldn't even see it, smoke was so thick) so just had to get everyone out and call the fire department.

Couldn't sleep soundly in that house afterwards, had to move out.
Old 08-06-10, 07:45 AM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

I have told this story before.. but when I was a shopkeeper we had a fire inspection and got chattting about smoke alarms

I admitted I had none in the house.. was the early 90's !

Fireman said dont forget it could be you... and then said if your kids died would you give over £10 to have them back?? that's how much 2 smoke alarms are..

I went B and Q on the way home and bought some.