SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-06-05, 03:34 PM   #1
cath

Default Booked my first track day - EEK!!!!

I've been riding SVs for 5 1/2 years out of a total of 12 years on two wheels and have finally plucked up the courage to go on a track day!
I'm doing Castle Coombe on 20th July - anyone else going?
Also, anyone got tips on how to survive my first track day and how to get the most out of it?
Cheers all
Old 27-06-05, 06:41 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Do try not to crash That would be my main tip.

Though to be honest, I doubt I'd enjoy track days as much if I was riding completely within my safety margins- possibly very daft but that's one of the attractions for me. Then, my safety margins are very wide indeed on the street.

What I'd take away from my track visits is that it's important to have a plan B in case something does go wrong- I always take a small array of tools, lots of gaffer tape and a complete set of levers. Paid off when I did bin it at Knockhill, when despite a 60mph get-off I just changed the front brake lever and rode home. That could have been a really expensive lift home otherwise... This isn't defeatist or admitting you will crash, just pragmatic and planning for it in case it does, IMO. I just sling it all in a tailpack along with the essential box of jaffa cakes

Likewise, if you've got lowers, take them off. I remove my mirrors since they're expensive and vulnerable, and the application of a couple of layers of gaffer tape saved my panels completely when it visited the kitty litter.And CRASH BUNGS!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote