SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Another wedding, Should I......
Go out, take the plunge and buy a suit you tight b***tard 24 80.00%
Save the money, and go through the humiliation of another ill fitting hire suit 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-06, 09:51 PM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Suit you!

Okay, it's that time again where I have a wedding to go to a need a suit. I have never owned one and all previous attempts to hire have ended in MC hammer territory.

My problem is, apart from the odd wedding/funeral, I have absolutely no use for a suit whatsoever. I don't have to wear a suit to work, and if I did wear a suit to an interview, it would probably go against me as just being a bit odd!

Other problem is that I believe it is possible to spot a cheap suit a mile off, so if I buy then I'm going to spend a few quid - namely a few quid that I would much prefer (and would get more use) to spend on say, a 1pc leather suit.

So as the poll says (and advice/recommendations please), buy or hire?
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-06, 09:57 PM   #2
Anonymous

cant you just wear nice shirt and tie. especially if its a summer wedding.
Old 01-07-06, 10:04 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

With you there mate - used to borrow a suit for weddings and funerals off a pilot mate who had some top clobber - but now he's moved on, so I'd be in the same boat as you, loathed to buy one for just for a few hours use a year.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 07:30 AM   #4
Cronos

Bit the bullet and buy your own suit. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent suit and one that suits is always going to look better than an ill-fitting borrowed one.

Just make sure that if you do buy one, go for a classic design as then it'll not look dated in a year or so.
Old 02-07-06, 08:04 AM   #5
the_runt69

Have three suits all donated by the brother-in-law when he became a bit fatter. Have bought 3 suits myself in the last 10 years and have only worn them to weddings, funerals and interviews so have a grand total of about 15 wears between them. I know they take up space but it is worth having one classic style suit in the wardrobe just in case.
H
Old 02-07-06, 08:25 AM   #6
Warren

who cares, the jacket and tie comes straight off anyway.

take it just shirt and tie wont do ?

ive got a suit, its been worn about 3 times in the past 2 years (i hate suits)
Old 02-07-06, 08:47 AM   #7
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Ok, ive had to wear suits all my working life (sadly) so i can advise a bit here.

Ted Baker do a suit range called Endurance. Stoopid name but they claim the mix of wools means you can throw it in the boot of you car, hang it up a bit and it'll be good to wear.

modern but classic cut and in most classic colours like grey, blue, charcoal. Lightweight and usualy has a bit of a groovy lining colur too so you dont look like a dull git. Cost about £150-200 depending on where you find it. Ive had mine for over 3yrs now and you wouldnt know it.

I also had to help choose all the suits for my mates wedding last year as i was best man and guess what we ended up with from Moss Bross..... Yup Ted Baker endurance all round. And for the prices they charge to hire the thing you'd be better off to buy one and just keep the moths away from it in the wardrobe if you aint gonna wear it much. (one of those rubbish cheap suit bags from the dry cleaners is good for that)

This is it.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 01:17 PM   #8
Jabba

Tesco is selling suits for about 330-35 each. Not checked 'em out properly but look OK from a distance.

I have a M&S machine-washable suit. Looks fine to my eye and was only about £70.

Hate wearing suits - got out of the habit since going to work by bike
Old 02-07-06, 04:57 PM   #9
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty tart
cant you just wear nice shirt and tie. especially if its a summer wedding.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
who cares, the jacket and tie comes straight off anyway.

take it just shirt and tie wont do ?

ive got a suit, its been worn about 3 times in the past 2 years (i hate suits)
Shirt + tie is a nice idea only I don't have a tie or any kind of smart trousers!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-06, 05:38 PM   #10
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

george at ASDA !

suits are ace.. about £60.!

go for a nice plain grey- . charcoal or a lighter grey.. then get a smart contrasting tie and crisp white shirt..!

cant go wrong £100 all in..!! -

serious I have had posh suits and george at asda suits and there aint mush odds.. especsh in your circumstances.

plus- George do mix n match so u can get yer jacket and trs seperate to fit nicely.. and not stuck with the six inches off the chest for waist measurement..... trs should just touch the heel and break on the shoe.. .... dont waste loads of money !.. but spideys idea of ted baker sounds grrovy- espesh with a nice bright lining..

I have about 15 suits from my nobby corporate days- dont wear them at all.!!

what a shame .! if u were fat liek me u cudda borrowed one !

then undo a seam and take it back !!